PETROL: All time high

Yet it can still afford to pay out £9 billion oversea's aid,and, to "third world" countries that aren't "third world" anymore...we are.......wheels within wheels....

This country needs money to pay the bribes you know, so people buy things manufactured here. If we don't other countries will. This is off topic, and has been argued to death on lots of other threads here on SF.

This country needs money to pay the bribes you know, so people buy things manufactured here. If we don't other countries will. This is off topic, and has been argued to death on lots of other threads here on SF.

Yes, as much off topic as your statement,and i did not know it had been argued to death on SF as i do not spend most of my time in front of a computer,so it is just a reply,or did you mean what you said above is off topic?...what are you on about anyway:confused:

Whilst the country is struggling with a massive short fall on it's income-outgoings?
your's was an answer to lowering tax that you say it cannot afford,mine is an answer to yours saying what it CAN afford to pay,so we must both be off topic..yes?

Yes, as much off topic as your statement,and i did not know it had been argued to death on SF as i do not spend most of my time in front of a computer,so it is just a reply,or did you mean what you said above is off topic?...what are you on about anyway:confused: your's was an answer to lowering tax that you say it cannot afford,mine is an answer to yours saying what it CAN afford to pay,so we must both be off topic..yes?

Actually I was saying that I was off topic.

What I tried to say, in a very clumsy way, is there seems to be some sort of strange coincidence with the countries that receive our foreign aid, submits orders for British Goods. If fact our foreign aid budget has been described as a UK weapons industry subsidy for quite a while.

So in effect the money in our foreign aid budget is spent keeping British workers in their jobs.

I admit that this point is arguable, and as such it very possible that we could argue over this point for page after page, seriously derailing this thread. So I said that it was off topic to try to keep the thread on the topic of oil prices

If we do end up with £2 a litre by next christmas we're going to end up with a new class culture based on those who can afford to drive a car and those that can't.

As ever there is an up side as well as a down side because more parents will make their children walk to school more people will take public transport or cycle/walk and there will be a big push for alternative fuels.

If fuel prices rise, public transport fares will rise just as fast, if not faster. While we have the current system of public transport, it'll always be cheaper to drive. If you have someone else to share the cost a taxi is often cheaper than a bus, almost certainly if there are 3 of you.

...I've wasted far too much time sat on a bus while passengers hold up the journey by (a) purchasing those weekly tickets on a Monday morning en masse or (b) pay for a ticket with a £10 note :roll:

x

I wonder why the bus companies don't provide ticket vending machines at a few select locations around the city and sell tickets by mail or through online order for those who don't actually want to travel into the city?

Each ticket could be 'charged' with a number of units (or for a day or weekly 'go anywhere' ticket activated for the period of validity.)

The passenger would have to swipe the ticket to get on the bus and swipe it again to get off. - Not swipe it through a reader (that might be a bit too hard for some people) but merely 'wave' it in front of a reader. (I saw a similar system in Venice last year and it seems to work pretty well on the Vaporettos.)

If fuel prices rise, public transport fares will rise just as fast, if not faster. While we have the current system of public transport, it'll always be cheaper to drive. If you have someone else to share the cost a taxi is often cheaper than a bus, almost certainly if there are 3 of you.

I wonder how much fuel is used by private motorists getting to work/going shopping/just driving around for pleasure and how much is used for transporting merchandise and in the course of business?

If road fuel prices go up by, say, 25%, what effect will that have on the price of food? How much will, for instance, the plumber charge?

Remember, he has to drive to your house, he has to drive to the merchant to buy the copper tube and all the materials he uses will have to get from the manufacturer to the merchant. He too will have to pay higher fuel prices for his own fuel and for the goods he buys for his own use which travel, so he will need to charge a bit more to cover that as well.)

Inflation is already higher than the government target. - Food price inflation was over 5% during the last 12 months.

The government could always print some more money. Then the people selling the oil (and all the other people who sell things to the UK) will want more money for the things they sell.

So the price of fuel and the price of food go up even further.

Actually I was saying that I was off topic.

What I tried to say, in a very clumsy way, is there seems to be some sort of strange coincidence with the countries that receive our foreign aid, submits orders for British Goods. If fact our foreign aid budget has been described as a UK weapons industry subsidy for quite a while.

So in effect the money in our foreign aid budget is spent keeping British workers in their jobs.

I admit that this point is arguable, and as such it very possible that we could argue over this point for page after page, seriously derailing this thread. So I said that it was off topic to try to keep the thread on the topic of oil prices

Fair comment...it's so very easy to go off topic unintentionally,,so to get back to the topic......about 3 years ago diesel was around £1.30p a litre, i don't think it has reached this price again, yet,....also it was around 15p a litre dearer than petrol,since then the gap narrowed so not so long ago they were equal in price,but now the gap is starting to widen again....

• 3 weeks later...

How can we stop this.

Why don't as many drivers as possible try to not use their cars, or drive more efficiently.

If we make a glut of petrol the price will fall.

It's basic economics. Although if demand drops long term, prices will go up. Economics are based on growth, we are or have passed peak oil. There is no growth, they may get the oil out of the ground quicker, but that is only quicker towards there being non.

Turn the table on the manufactures that are making very high profits on a commodity that they want and need us to use.

Turn the tables on a government that want us to find an alternative to oil based fuels, but they are very happy put take the tax on it.

If we stopped using oil today how much would the government lose in tax and how would they fill the gap?

How can we stop this.

Why don't as many drivers as possible try to not use their cars, or drive more efficiently.

If we make a glut of petrol the price will fall.

It's basic economics. Although if demand drops long term, prices will go up. Economics are based on growth, we are or have passed peak oil. There is no growth, they may get the oil out of the ground quicker, but that is only quicker towards there being non.

Turn the table on the manufactures that are making very high profits on a commodity that they want and need us to use.

Turn the tables on a government that want us to find an alternative to oil based fuels, but they are very happy put take the tax on it.

If we stopped using oil today how much would the government lose in tax and how would they fill the gap?

I get where you are coming from, and there are people who cut down dramatically( like myself ) and walk where I can etc. However, dont you think that the Government know that at the moment( short term anyway) there will always be people and services who simply cannot do without fuel?

Like if you worked in another City for example. It would take you twice as long to get there as it would do by car.You could manage it on a short term but long term, who will put up with it?

I too see the merits of your arguement. However my other half currently lives just under 30 miles away from me. We can use public transport to see each other but it actually costs more, even if you factor in all the costs of tax/insurance/etc & time.

It takes me 35 mins to travel to hers (motorway mostly) and I can go at the drop of a hat.

With public transport it takes a minimum of an hour and half and thats only if the services run to time, which for the most part they don't. Not only that, I have to go when their timetables dictate.

I do use public transport now and then though, usually if I have to go into city centre, it's cheaper than the parking fees & easier than finding a space.

Archived