PETROL: All time high

What about boycotting the two biggest oil companies, ESSO and BP? If they are not selling any fuel, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

Lots of the petrol stations that are branded are actually franchises and aren't owned by the big oil companies.

unless you drive to work, its seems to me its just like the VAT increase. It makes very little difference when you work out how much extra it will be to fill a tank. Its still cheaper to drive than go by public transport so I don't think anyone has the right to moan! I hope it will be subsidising public transport more in the future. If you can afford a car you can afford the fuel to run it!

Its no good crying to the pertol station. Over 70% of the fuel cost is tax and vat, aim at the right people guys its not hard to work out its the goverment.

Think of it another way, people will be using their car less and we have less congestion, I am happy with that and more then willing to pay £2 a litre if the road are clear

I would have thought there will be a list of the ones that they do actually own somewhere.

It's extremely rare these days for an actual oil company to own the station itself. Branding on stations is just like any other franchise, showing which brand they provide.

As for supermarket fuels:

Tesco - Mostly Greenergy - some stores are Esso based on a business alliance.

Morrisons - Greenergy

Asda - Harvest Fuels

Sainsburys - Some sources say it's Greenergy however most point to BP as the supply

All supermarkets brand the fuels as their own, despite their supplies.

Its no good crying to the pertol station. Over 70% of the fuel cost is tax and vat, aim at the right people guys its not hard to work out its the goverment.

Think of it another way, people will be using their car less and we have less congestion, I am happy with that and more then willing to pay £2 a litre if the road are clear

Bang on the money old chap.

Since my company pays for the fuel (private and business) in my daily driver the cost per litre can go up to £3 and I wouldn't be bothered; a pay rise for me every time it increases :)

In fact I'm looking for a 2nd V8 to add to the fleet.

Hopefully that'll make 26 cylinders and around 11 litres of internal combustion chambers in the household...

How can we stop this.

Why don't as many drivers as possible try to not use their cars, or drive more efficiently.

If we make a glut of petrol the price will fall.

It's basic economics. Although if demand drops long term, prices will go up. Economics are based on growth, we are or have passed peak oil. There is no growth, they may get the oil out of the ground quicker, but that is only quicker towards there being non.

Turn the table on the manufactures that are making very high profits on a commodity that they want and need us to use.

Turn the tables on a government that want us to find an alternative to oil based fuels, but they are very happy put take the tax on it.

If we stopped using oil today how much would the government lose in tax and how would they fill the gap?

The cost of driving a car is no higher now than twenty years ago:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/blighty/2011/01/war_motorist

Yes, the war on the motorist is bunk. As is the war on Christmas, and the war on coal, and probably quite a few others...

One would think we were mired in enough real wars that we wouldn't have to make up additional ones.

Since its peak in July 2000 motoring is 14.5% cheaper (compared to RPI) or 13.5% cheaper (compared to RPI excluding mortgage interest). Compared to average earnings motoring is 22.4% cheaper. Over the two or so decades since 1987 motoring costs have fallen by 7.7% (RPI) or 0.3% (RPI excluding mortgages).

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackson/2008/real-cost-of-motoring/

Archived