Union closed shop workplaces.

When I was 18 0r 19 yrears old I worked on the building site which is now waterthorpe estate.

I was sat in the cabin having my lunch one day and a man came in and said he was checking everyone was in the union.

When I told him I was not and did not want to join it he said it was a closed shop and unless I joined I would not be able to work on that site.

Does this kind of extortion still go on today?.

When I was 18 0r 19 yrears old I worked on the building site which is now waterthorpe estate.

I was sat in the cabin having my lunch one day and a man came in and said he was checking everyone was in the union.

When I told him I was not and did not want to join it he said it was a closed shop and unless I joined I would not be able to work on that site.

had the same happen to me at doncasters...took a couple of quid a week...mind you...we did have a strike meeting once a week in burnaby street wmc....once took a damaged tool to machine shop to get it repaired and my fork truck had chains so put it straight on machine...this bloke shouted what you effing doing...put it in that yellow square....it was not my job to put it on machine...demarcation it was called...one man one job....joke

had the same happen to me at doncasters...took a couple of quid a week...mind you...we did have a strike meeting once a week in burnaby street wmc....once took a damaged tool to machine shop to get it repaired and my fork truck had chains so put it straight on machine...this bloke shouted what you effing doing...put it in that yellow square....it was not my job to put it on machine...demarcation it was called...one man one job....joke

Yeh I remember stories of people being up to their knees in crap around the machines they were working on.

When asked to clean up around their feet the would reply "I'm a machinest not a cleaner".

No wonder the Japs got all the work.

The only closed shop I can think of offhand is the National Union of Students.

A union exists as a bargaining unit for a number of workers in different trades. It also protects employees from unlawful practices by an employer.

If an employee chooses not to join a union that may be his legal right but that person should not expect to enjoy the increased benefits derived from union negotiations on behalf of employees who support the union and pay union dues from their own pocket

Archived