Has anyone studied with the OU?

I'm due to start an OU course on the 29th of January. The course is the Introduction to social sciences. I got the course materials delivered yesterday and have just been looking at the TMA section where the assignment questions are, and must say the course looks really difficult. I am now panicking and was wondering if anyone who has also studied with the OU could give me some advice. Did anyone else feel like this when seeing their course materials

What's the course code? Is that a foundation course?

I studied with them - went mainly down the science route. Eight years later I got a degree.

It can be a bit daunting but stick in. The foundation courses are good and you get lots of support off the tutors. If there are evening/Saturday classes (forgot the proper name) available then try to attend - they are worth it.

What is your ambition? Are you just wanting to do a one off course, a diploma or a degree? If going for a degree - are you looking for a basic pass (like me) or are you going for honours?

G

EDIT

Found the course http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/dd101.htm

I spent slightly more time per week on my foundation course than on a second level 60 point course. About 10 hours a week - I think that they say to expect about 11 - 14 hours a week.

Does the course have a summer school?

Thankyou the course code is DD101, and I'm doing this to hopefully progress to get my honours in Criminology and Social Policy. I left sixth form in 2007 so have had a few years away from studying and now I've read the first assignment question and am thinking 'I'm not smart enough for this'

I wouldn't worry about not being able to do the work. I only had 'O' levels and started OU 11 years after leaving school - that said, I only did the bare minimum to pass each year/module.

To get honours you have to do level two and level three courses and it is the level of pass in these that gives you the type of honours.

If you can manage the time to do the study then you should have no problem this year going on your current level of education.

Good luck

G

I wouldn't worry about not being able to do the work. I only had 'O' levels and started OU 11 years after leaving school - that said, I only did the bare minimum to pass each year/module.

To get honours you have to do level two and level three courses and it is the level of pass in these that gives you the type of honours.

If you can manage the time to do the study then you should have no problem this year going on your current level of education.

Good luck

G

Hiya, im 63 and at home everyday due to having Athritis, ive loads of spare time on my hands but like a lot of folks my age i havent any qualifications...would you say it would be a bit too ambitious starting an OU course...:)

^^

The good thing about the OU is that it does not discriminate on age. There was one lady on my final year who was well into her eighties.

I think that the main thing is to want to do the course. If you are able to take in information and can write stuff down then you are half way there.

Also, pick a course that you have, or want to have, an interest in.

Also think about what is the worse that can happen? If you simply can't do the course then all that you've lost is the course fee.

G

Hiya, im 63 and at home everyday due to having Athritis, ive loads of spare time on my hands but like a lot of folks my age i havent any qualifications...would you say it would be a bit too ambitious starting an OU course...:)

And remember many or most of the students are working full or part time, so the courses are designed to be done part time. If you can devote more time then you can work more at your own pace. When I did my degree with the OU iwas working full time and to be honest it was hard going at times, but there were others on my course who treated it as a full time degree course.

Like big_g says, what have you got to lose? You're never too old if you really want to do it!

Hiya .... Don't panic. Each section of your course work will cover the material you need for your TMA's . Two important pieces of advice I can give you . Firstly , you HAVE to follow your calendar so that you don't fall behind and you're left playing catch up , make sure that you plan your study time and stick to it rigidly . Secondly , don't be afraid to ask your tutor for help snd guidance ...they don't bite ...honestly !!:)

Archived