Should Terry Jones be banned from the UK

he didn't say that, no. but he knew what his words would result in, or, at least, likely to result in. i wouldn't go as far as saying he should be charged as an accessory to murder, but he definitely should be held accountable for the consequences of his words.

He's not accountable for anything. He's expressed his feelings and thoughts about Islam and the Koran, he hasn't broken any law.

We should stop trying to rationalise violent reaction to offended sensibilities.

Christianity is desecrated and persecuted all the time in the Islamic world, seldom do you see Christians across the globe murdering and burning because of it, so I absolutely reject any notion of this level of violence being a natural consequence of causing offence.

You were talking about, and my comments were about freedoms as a moral concept. You are now talking about the US Constitution.

You seem to be changing the subject. My point was and still is that the freedom of speech is not an absolute right. The US Constitution you are now referring to expresses it as a qualified freedom, so the evidence you are introducing is in opposition to and contradicts your original statement.

Not in Europe apparently. Holocaust denial is a crime in Germany I understand.

I have to say that I feel far more comfortable with absolute freedom of speech even if it can sometimes be obnoxious.

People are murdered every single day by Islamists. Usually nothing to do with obscure pastors in the USA. Sometimes they blow up things like girls schools (one was blown up this week in Pakistan), nothing to do with Terry Jones.

Should we curtail freedom of expression because Islamists demand it? That's when they have won.

you are such an apologist, BOTH are wrong.........BUT......we do need to look and learn about what causes 1 thing which leads to another

If I threatened to beat my neighbour to death with a lump hammer should anyone mock something/anything that I feel passionately about.

If you threatened to murder someone using a lump hammer I'd report you to the authorities and I'd question your mental health.

Terry Jones is a nut job but he has the right to burn the Koran just as much as a Muslim would have the right to burn the bible. It's unfortunate that people in the UN building were killed by an out of control mob but are we to be intimidated into suppressing our rights by the threats from a part of the world whose laws and mentalities are still back in the middle ages?

sure, he has 'the right' to. we all have the right to do a lot of things. but whether or not we should do those things really is what separates us' from irresponsible nuts.

If I threatened to beat my nieghbour to death with a lump hammer sould anyone mock something I feel passonate about, who'd be responsible for my actions if saw reason to follow through with my threat and murder my nieghbour?

You would be. But if a person who mocked you knowing you would be likely to respond violently would share some culpability for the act too.

If you threatened to murder someone using a lump hammer I'd report you to the authorities and I'd question your mental health.

Would you also report the person that mocked my passionate interest?.. the person that angered me?

Would you also report the person that mocked my passionate interest?.. the person that angered me?

Actually thinking about this, you shouldn't murder the neighbour that insulted you, you should kill the neighbours at the other side, and maybe next door but one, and a few across the road.

You would be. But if a person who mocked you knowing you would be likely to respond violently would share some culpability for the act too.
A little like women who dresses provocatively hey Halibut?

It knows no bounds:hihi:

Archived