Orchid Thai restaurant offer

Claret

Anyone seen the latest Groupon offer for Orchid Thai on London Road?

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/sheffield?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_45_0_0_0&utm_source=Deal_general_newsletter&utm_medium=All_Cities&utm_content=Initial_Version&utm_campaign=Varies

Basically a 3 course meal, for 2 people, for £21.50.

I've never been - has anyone else? What do you think? Is it worth spending £20 there?

• 4 months later...

We went tonight and had £35 worth of food for about £14.

As well as being a great offer the food was absolutely delicious.

Starters of fishcakes and chicken, coconut and mushroom soup, main courses of spicy seafood platter; beef, nut and potato curry and stir fried aubergines plus rice came to £37.50. Lovely stuff.

We went tonight and had £35 worth of food for about £14.

As well as being a great offer the food was absolutely delicious.

Starters of fishcakes and chicken, coconut and mushroom soup, main courses of spicy seafood platter; beef, nut and potato curry and stir fried aubergines plus rice came to £37.50. Lovely stuff.

Thanks for the reminder!! I too bought the recent £14 deal and have been meaning to book it.

• 1 month later...

Hi

We have used two Groupon vouchers here. The first was some months ago and that was fine.

However, two weeks ago, we went on a Sunday night. The restaurant was not busy at eight o'clock, the time we had been told to come. We sat near another couple, also using a voucher.

Whilst we waited ages for service, we were entertained by the ants crawling up the wall and onto the table of the other couple. They pointed out the ants to the waiter but he wasn't interested.

We had the mixed platter for starters which was sub-standard and not worth what we were paying, let alone the full menu price.

We had two different curries for mains, with rice. There were tiny bits of meat swimming in watery sauce; quite the worst Thai meal I have ever eaten. We were only served the one TINY dish of rice, rather than the two different ones we ordered. The waiter was nowhere to be seen when I wanted to ask for the other. Indeed, I think there were probably not more than two or three staff in the place, including in the kitchen!

The other couple were disgusted, having a similar experience (apart from the extra protein).

All in all, it was a poor experience, poor value for money - even at what we paid with the Groupon. We had enjoyed it before.

I had noticed, over a period of time, that this restaurant was putting discounted meals on several voucher sites. It would appear that they are not using this to increase long term customers, getting people in to show off their restaurant in the hope they will come again. Rather, they seem to be taking the money and running. Perhaps they are about to retire. Perhaps they should.

You can have a bad experience at any restaurant at some time, of course you can, but this was the worst meal we have ever had and I would strongly advise against using vouchers here.

its a shame that you cannot have a high standard of meal with groupon , makes you wonder if they are worth purchasing in the first place.

maybe they should remember that a good review is a lot better than a bad one

Not all restaurants take the p***. I've had some very good meals through Groupon, including at Dhanista's.

Orchid Thai was not a good experience for me either - http://bit.ly/jTaRu1

Archived