Orchid Thai restaurant offer

Claret

Hi

We have used two Groupon vouchers here. The first was some months ago and that was fine.

However, two weeks ago, we went on a Sunday night. The restaurant was not busy at eight o'clock, the time we had been told to come. We sat near another couple, also using a voucher.

Whilst we waited ages for service, we were entertained by the ants crawling up the wall and onto the table of the other couple. They pointed out the ants to the waiter but he wasn't interested.

We had the mixed platter for starters which was sub-standard and not worth what we were paying, let alone the full menu price.

We had two different curries for mains, with rice. There were tiny bits of meat swimming in watery sauce; quite the worst Thai meal I have ever eaten. We were only served the one TINY dish of rice, rather than the two different ones we ordered. The waiter was nowhere to be seen when I wanted to ask for the other. Indeed, I think there were probably not more than two or three staff in the place, including in the kitchen!

The other couple were disgusted, having a similar experience (apart from the extra protein).

All in all, it was a poor experience, poor value for money - even at what we paid with the Groupon. We had enjoyed it before.

I had noticed, over a period of time, that this restaurant was putting discounted meals on several voucher sites. It would appear that they are not using this to increase long term customers, getting people in to show off their restaurant in the hope they will come again. Rather, they seem to be taking the money and running. Perhaps they are about to retire. Perhaps they should.

You can have a bad experience at any restaurant at some time, of course you can, but this was the worst meal we have ever had and I would strongly advise against using vouchers here.

We also Used the voucher described above two weeks last Sunday. The £15 for £45 one. The food was as good as any Thai I've eaten before. Certainly on a par with Thai at travellers and Baan Thai. Got two pots of sticky rice, loads of chicken in Thai curry and not one single ant in sight.

All in all, a very good experience.

• 1 month later...

I've just booked to go Friday night, also got the groupon voucher worth £45, paid £15 for it.

So I shall leave a review afterwards.

Not been to a Thai restaurant, so should be a change...just hoping there's dishes that dont have cocconut in!

Hoping it'll be a nice night out!

I used a groupon voucher for them in June, used it about two or three weeks ago now... They had a separate menu for groupon uses when I went, you recieved a choice of I think two starters, and four or five mains and a glass of wine for two - We both enjoyed it and would probably go again if Baan Thai didn't exist five mins walk away! Sadly. it didn't beat that!

I have bought 2 groupon vouchers for this restaurant, one for me and my husband and one for our 21 year old and her boyfriend. We've been on separate occasions and really enjoyed it. The service was great and the food was really good.Glass of wine that was included in the offer was a bit small but, you can't expect everything! Definitely worth a visit.

Archived