Anyone with surname "May"

Hazelmay

Is anyone with the surname May, or from the May family, out there?

My father is Harry May and lost touch with his family after the war. He was brought up by his grandmother and had no brothers or sisters but I know he had Aunts and Uncles and cousins. I would be interested to hear from anyone who might be a family member.

I work with a guy caled Peter May, he's about 60. Not sure what area he was brought up in or where he lives now, but could find out.

I knew a Pete May off woodseats he would be mid fifties at the most.

Lives near Meadowhead.

His dad if I remember correctly was a cockney.

Is anyone with the surname May, or from the May family, out there?

My father is Harry May and lost touch with his family after the war. He was brought up by his grandmother and had no brothers or sisters but I know he had Aunts and Uncles and cousins. I would be interested to hear from anyone who might be a family member.

Maybe I need to give more details.

My father's Uncle's were James May born in 1893 and Edward May born in 1905. I think they lived in the Pitsmoor area. These would likely be the grandfathers of Mays of my generation - i.e. in their sixties today.

My father's Aunts were Alice May born in 1890 and Sarah May born in 1898. I believe they both married into a family named Elvin.

How about Patrick May. Went to school with him 1935-40. Parents had a florist shop in the town centre, I think it was on Pinstone Street. I believe they also had a second, similar business in Ecclesall. They lived, I think, on Dover Road, off Ecclesall Road between Sharrow and Hunter’s Bar.

If he is still with us, Pat will be a little over 80 years old.

Hi Hazelmay - I think I have found your uncles and aunts in the 1911 census, and most of their entries in the births index. At a house in Allen Street lived:

Lily May, widow, age 42, and children -

.Alice, 21 (born Apr-Jun 1889)

.Nellie, 20 (born Apr-Jun 1891)

.James, 18 (born Apr-Jun 1893)

.Vincent, 15 (born Apr-Jun 1896)

.Sarah, 13 (birth entry not found)

.Elizabeth, 13 (born Apr-Jun 1898.)

.Edward, 6 (born Jul-Sep 1904)

PM me an email address if you would like a JPEG scan of the census page.

I did a sample search on Edward, and found that he died in 1973. It seems that he married Amy Thompson in 1927, and they may (no pun intended!) have had five daughters Dorothy, Joan, Grace, Shirley and Jean.

Although it isn't a common surname, the 2004 census lists over 300 people with the name May in the Sheffield area. All the same it might (just) be possible to trace some of Lily's descendants.

Archived