Anyone with surname "May"

Hazelmay

Hi Hazelmay - I think I have found your uncles and aunts in the 1911 census, and most of their entries in the births index. At a house in Allen Street lived:

Lily May, widow, age 42, and children -

.Alice, 21 (born Apr-Jun 1889)

.Nellie, 20 (born Apr-Jun 1891)

.James, 18 (born Apr-Jun 1893)

.Vincent, 15 (born Apr-Jun 1896)

.Sarah, 13 (birth entry not found)

.Elizabeth, 13 (born Apr-Jun 1898.)

.Edward, 6 (born Jul-Sep 1904)

PM me an email address if you would like a JPEG scan of the census page.

I did a sample search on Edward, and found that he died in 1973. It seems that he married Amy Thompson in 1927, and they may (no pun intended!) have had five daughters Dorothy, Joan, Grace, Shirley and Jean.

Although it isn't a common surname, the 2004 census lists over 300 people with the name May in the Sheffield area. All the same it might (just) be possible to trace some of Lily's descendants.

Thanks for that Hillsbro. My Grandmother was Elizabeth May and she died at age 26, which is why my father was brought up by his Grandmother. Sarah was her twin.

I have done some research myself recently and discovered that Nellie also died aged 21 and Vincent was killed in WW1 at age 20. How sad for Lily to lose three adult children, in additon to her husband James who died aged 40.

By my father's account, Lily was a wonderful woman who brought up two grandchildren (my father and his cousin Lily, who also lost her mother) after rearing her own family and being a widow at such a young age.

The good old days? I think not.

Although I found out details about my relatives in the past, I was wondering about their descendants who may be around today.

...I was wondering about their descendants who may be around today.
As I wrote it might be possible to find them (in the 2004 census for example). When I get a chance I'll see what I can do!
I have a lifelong friend called James Christopher May, Jim as I know him is 74 and married with two daughters, he originally lived in Heeley.

Hi sharrovian - your friend's parents were evidently Christopher J. May and Jane May, née Hukin, and his paternal grandparents Patrick May [born 1878] and Rosanna May, née Cartledge. There doesn't seem to be a link with Hazelmay's family.

• 3 weeks later...
Is anyone with the surname May, or from the May family, out there?

My father is Harry May and lost touch with his family after the war. He was brought up by his grandmother and had no brothers or sisters but I know he had Aunts and Uncles and cousins. I would be interested to hear from anyone who might be a family member.

Hi I live in Norton Lees. My next door neighbour is called May. His dad lives not far away so I think they are local to this area.

Hi when you say that Les May is well known aroound here do you mean in the Norton Lees/Hollythorpe area or just in Sheffield generally. I'll ask my son if he knows the name as he goes to more pubs than I do!!

Sheffield generally, he had the Hallamshire House Walkley but before that he turned round the fortunes of a couple of others in the East end as I remember. He knew my Parents back in the 70s 80s I'm sure he is still around, I will try to find out.

In the early 70's a lad called Stephen May went to Jordanthorpe Comprehensive.

I know him too - mum and dad called Richard and Patricia (Dick and Pat!!) and sister called Diane. Stephen is married with kids now. Long shot for them to be part of the same family as Hazel though I reckon.

Archived