Town hall / registry office - tell me about it!

Hi all

Budget is looking like we'll get hitched in the registry office

For those of you that have done it there/been to a wedding there, can you talk me through it?

Can you take pictures on the staircase?

Is there an "aisle" to walk down? Can you play music? Can you have a reading during the ceremony? Do you see your partner before the actual ceremony?

Thankyou!

I got married at the registry office in September. To answer your questions,

Yes you can have pictures taken at the staircase. Your guests will be waiting within the holding area. Afterwards the bride and groom will be invited to a room alone with the registrar to discuss a few things include confirming your personal details and take any further payments. You will be with your partner for the whole time unless the bride walks down the aisle then the groom will stand at the front of the room.

You can bring your own CD to play. You have the option to walk down the aisle (for the bride). It is all up to you, you will just let the registrar know of your intentions during the meeting beforehand.

One thing I can't answer is reading during the ceremony.

I got married there, wasn't allowed photos on the staircase, but I have a friend who was so I'm not sure of the critera (mine was a weekday, hers was a Saturday?) You can walk down the aisle but tell the registrar when you go to pay (yes you do have to see the groom first, and depending on how busy it is, possibly the guests too, I was stood in a room with them before we were called in. Not how I wanted it, but it was all fine.

You can take a CD in with you, I had a song for walking down the aisle, one for signing the register, and one for leaving. I put them all on one CD with a note saying which track was for which.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi im planning to get married next christmas at the town hall and looked it up on the net but it does not say weather you pay for it before the day when you book the ceremony or actually on the day does anyone actually know. Thanks emma x

There are two payments required, one for giving notice of marriage and the other for register of marriage. You will need to pay the giving notice of marriage cost at the time when you are giving notice of marriage at the register office.

The register of marriage cost can be paid at the same time when giving notice of marriage or on the day of your marriage.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/Marriagesandcivilpartnerships/DG_175715

• 2 weeks later...

We got married June 08. We were allowed photo's on the staircase (we got married on a friday) . I went to the town hall with all the guests and the groom on a coach! You wait with the guests and the groom and are called into the room with the groom before the guests to pay the registrar and for them to go through what is about to happen. We waited at the front while our guests filled the room. It was lovely and the staff were really nice. You then go straight outside (so make sure you have your staircase photo's before the ceremony) into the peace gardens through a backdoor. The photo's there are really nice with the fountains and the gardens. We then boarded the coach and had more photo's done at the Botanical gardens. (because that was where we had our first date), then home for a BBQ. It was an amazing day. I thoroughly enjoyed it , as did all our family and friends.

There are two payments required, one for giving notice of marriage and the other for register of marriage. You will need to pay the giving notice of marriage cost at the time when you are giving notice of marriage at the register office.

The register of marriage cost can be paid at the same time when giving notice of marriage or on the day of your marriage.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/Marriagesandcivilpartnerships/DG_175715

Hi there, I am getting married there on the 26/02/11. We had to pay a £20.00 deppsit to secure the date and the rest of the payment £110.50 had to be paid when we attended the registry office to give our notice of marriage. I dont think that you can 'pay on the day' anymore.

Hi there, I am getting married there on the 26/02/11. We had to pay a £20.00 deppsit to secure the date and the rest of the payment £110.50 had to be paid when we attended the registry office to give our notice of marriage. I dont think that you can 'pay on the day' anymore.

Sam here, we paid everything when we attended the appointment at the registry office.

(Am getting hitched exactly a month before you Jenhoppy :) )

Archived