Migrants on dole are 'true heroes' says harriet harman.

Asylum seekers are given council properties in Sheffield ahead of Sheffielders and weekly benefits.

And they are welcomed, poached even.

We've been through this one a few times before, I'd have thought you were a bit more clued up. A small number of hard-to-let properties are managed on contract to UKBA, mainly for asylum seekers with mobility problems significant enough that they can't manage the stairs in the multi-occupancy private properties which the vast majority of asylum seekers live in. The best way to limit the amount of housing used by asylum seekers is to make decisions quickly on their cases, something the incompetent Immigration and Nationality Department has so far seemed unable to do. It'll be interesting to see whether the current government will manage to do a better job. You'd hope so, given the amount of criticism they heaped on the last lot. Mind you, with less staff working in IND that'll be a challenge.

So you only buy English goods and services?

Do you think he checks where each company is registered for tax before he buys anything? Presumably he never shops in Top Shop or any other Arcadia Group store, what with the profits going tax-free to Monaco.

saw a bit in the paper today about a politician causing uproar saying "northern" people should do migrants work and move south to cherry pick etc

1: would you want to do menial work like that INSTEAD of migrants (even moving away from your friends, family and home)?

2: is it right that the term used was "northerners" as we're some special / lowly species?

1: would you want to do menial work like that INSTEAD of migrants (even moving away from your friends, family and home)?

Isn't that just what the migrants are doing?

2: is it right that the term used was "northerners" as we're some special / lowly species?

People from the north are... er, northeners.

Isn't that just what the migrants are doing?

People from the north are... er, northeners.

exactly, but its not about migrants, its "southerners" telling US we should move down their to do work thats generally been done by immigrants.

im not for or against it, i was just putting it forward as its similer to the way migrants move to a different country to do menial tasks, it does seem to have stirred up a hornets nest tho

Many builders suffer and don't have jobs but they seem to get in t pub for a bevvy. Of course charity begins at home, doesn't have to stop there though

I love these threads. Makes me want to get me Lederhosen kit out.

the swiss incest threads that way -----------------^

errrrrrrrrrrrrrm

exactly, but its not about migrants, its "southerners" telling US we should move down their to do work thats generally been done by immigrants.

im not for or against it, i was just putting it forward as its similer to the way migrants move to a different country to do menial tasks, it does seem to have stirred up a hornets nest tho

Only recently.

And its generally poorly paid, irregular & temporary work.

The only reason immigrants do it (A8 & A2 nationals that is), is because they have no social safety net.

It wouldn't be worth it for many of the unemployed to do such work, if it wasn't for immigration, the wages would have had to have increased.

Archived