Stem cell transplant cures HIV

It may well be a false claim, but German doctors may well have cured a man of HIV using stem cells.

Doctors who carried out a stem cell transplant on an HIV-infected man with leukaemia in 2007 say they now believe the man to have been cured of HIV infection as a result of the treatment, which introduced stem cells which happened to be resistant to HIV infection.

Ref:

This could be very good news for the millions of sufferers world wide and especially those is poorer countries who cannot afford the antiviral drugs.

Today may be a day to remember.

I was reading a story today about a young blind girl who, at the age of four, has just been given her sight following a successful stem cell operation.

Let's hope that there's some basis for this as far as HIV is concerned.

Far too many people have suffered for far too long at the hands of a condition that still has a ridiculous stigma attached to it.

I don't doubt any of the claims, after all it seems perfectly logical given that that is the job of stem cells, but its a lot to do with luck than judgement and is more than a bit hit and miss.

All that has been proven is that biology works.

Now when they perfect how the genes are introduced into the body to give maximum effect then this truly will be right up there with man leaving the trees and going to the moon.

It may well be a false claim, but German doctors may well have cured a man of HIV using stem cells.

Doctors who carried out a stem cell transplant on an HIV-infected man with leukaemia in 2007 say they now believe the man to have been cured of HIV infection as a result of the treatment, which introduced stem cells which happened to be resistant to HIV infection.

Ref:

This could be very good news for the millions of sufferers world wide and especially those is poorer countries who cannot afford the antiviral drugs.

Today may be a day to remember.

Ahh good lads!

I was reading a story today about a young blind girl who, at the age of four, has just been given her sight following a successful stem cell operation.

Let's hope that there's some basis for this as far as HIV is concerned.

Far too many people have suffered for far too long at the hands of a condition that still has a ridiculous stigma attached to it.

I pray this is not just raising false hope for the millions of people affected by AIDS and HIV worldwide. I hope, at last, that this may be the death sentence for this vicious disease.

If this turns out to be a successful treatment, it will be much more expensive than any drugs and only available to the very rich.

My concern is that from the "millions" population perspective, that is the vast majority who have no chance of accessing treatment like this, it could actually make things worse, at least in the short term. News that there is a "cure" could result in changes in the risk-taking behaviour of many, and actually result in increased infections.

Still potentially good news though.

I pray this is not just raising false hope for the millions of people affected by AIDS and HIV worldwide. I hope, at last, that this may be the death sentence for this vicious disease.

Unfortunately hope of similar treatment may be a false hope.

The patient was cured when he was having treatment for his leukaemia. He was irradiated to kill off his immune system, he then received a bone marrow transplant from a patient who had a genetic immunity to HIV. About 1 in 100 Caucasian Europeans have this gene. It was then found that both his leukaemia and HIV had been cured.

The problem is, the bone marrow transplant operation carries a 5% mortality rate and as such it is a risky operation that is only carried out when someone's life is under threat. With modern treatment people with HIV can expect to life a long life approaching normal life expectancy if they stay compliant on their treatment.

So it is questionable if this treatment will be offered to people. It is however good news that more is being found out in the treatment and potential cure of this disease.

Archived