Ward's Brewery

HarrietStar

Some years ago some friends of mine from out of town and I went in a Wards house and ordered pints all round, after a while one was seen holding his pint up to the light, and when asked why his reply was"I was just trying to decide which river this had come from!!!!!", so I explained with Wards you either loved it or hated it.

Some years ago some friends of mine from out of town and I went in a Wards house and ordered pints all round, after a while one was seen holding his pint up to the light, and when asked why his reply was"I was just trying to decide which river this had come from!!!!!", so I explained with Wards you either loved it or hated it.

ive always loved stones.......i always said wards makes you ****, lol

Just after I had finished National Service (1950)where I learned to drink, me and a couple of mates went into the old Yellow Lion behind the City Hall, I don't what is there now I don't live in the city,when the beer was the old Stones,Sheffield born and bred, a real beer right?, it had a yellowish tinge rather than the more familiar brownish of other brews, when I got home my Dad asked where we had been, and when I told him he replied "Oh Stones's you can become addicted to that!", and I am sure he was right,on subsequent visits we would see the same blokes stood at the bar with a sort of glazed faraway look in there eyes.

Cheers and thanks for the memory

the Meadow, Meadow Street (R.I.P) was a pub that the Netherthorpian side of my family used to frequent.

it was a Wards' House.

on a sunday afternoon, we'd be at my granny's for our Sunday lunch.

My poppa and grandpa would be drinking in "t' medder", and would come back to peas, sprouts and cabbage, all done to death in bicarb-ed water, so they'd be this intriguing bright green colour.

all this trump-y veg, combined with the wondefully trump-y wards' beer maent that poppa and grandpa woud be playing the trumpet voluntary/ calling the ships in from Salford Docks all afternoon.

My mother and granny would both be grumbling about the dreadful, unnatural choking stenches that were produced .

they called it the "medder-stink!"

my mother's favourite commnet on the foul air emitted was "Anyone as teks more than two breaths o' THAT is a greedy beggar!"

Just after I had finished National Service (1950)where I learned to drink, me and a couple of mates went into the old Yellow Lion behind the City Hall, I don't what is there now I don't live in the city,when the beer was the old Stones,Sheffield born and bred, a real beer right?, it had a yellowish tinge rather than the more familiar brownish of other brews, when I got home my Dad asked where we had been, and when I told him he replied "Oh Stones's you can become addicted to that!", and I am sure he was right,on subsequent visits we would see the same blokes stood at the bar with a sort of glazed faraway look in there eyes.

Cheers and thanks for the memory

I've just got to comment on this. Highnote you've got it dead right on your post, it was, like you say, yellowish, and may I say, addictive, the more you had, the more you wanted. I could sup 'over the eight' of that wonderful stuff. I couldn't do it with any other beer apart from Ward's, but it had to be a good house.

• 1 year later...

Archived