Duke of darnall

michael g

I remember being downtown with my dad in the vicinity of Fitzallan Square around 1953 and seeing this well dressed guy walking down the middle of the road. I think he was shouting something. I asked my dad about him and he said "Oh, that's the Duke of Darnall". It took me a while to realise that he was not a real duke, just an old nutter.

Amazingly I to was on an Eccleshall tram travelling down the Moor near the National Provincial Bank where my brother later worked on about the same time.

The 'Duke' was walking in the middle of the road and a very smart car pulled up in front of him. A young chap got out and handed him a rose which he put in his coat, bowed and waved his gloves in the air.

Yes he was a old nutter, but a lovable one and a true character of the period.

If all the non-pc persons of this time could produce the humour and interest that the Duke did, this world would be a much better place to live in.

• 7 months later...
Amazingly I to was on an Eccleshall tram travelling down the Moor near the National Provincial Bank where my brother later worked on about the same time.

The 'Duke' was walking in the middle of the road and a very smart car pulled up in front of him. A young chap got out and handed him a rose which he put in his coat, bowed and waved his gloves in the air.

Yes he was a old nutter, but a lovable one and a true character of the period.

If all the non-pc persons of this time could produce the humour and interest that the Duke did, this world would be a much better place to live in.

My memory may be playing tricks with me but I believe the murdered prostitute, Russian Edna lived either with or in the same house as the Duke

My memory may be playing tricks with me but I believe the murdered prostitute, Russian Edna lived either with or in the same house as the Duke

yes russian edna did lodge at his house and his real name was harry taylor he was deaf and dumb from birth he also married a deaf and dumb lady and they had a daughter and she was ok . he was my great uncle. my mother is still alive shes 90 now and can recall many stories about him some of which are very amusing

the terminology "deaf and dumb" is not a nice phrase to use, as "dumb has connotations of being "stupid" more than "mute".

dont talk daft I have deaf and dumb mates and they are not offended by the phrase ? Its been used for as long as I can remember....

dont talk daft I have deaf and dumb mates and they are not offended by the phrase ? Its been used for as long as I can remember....

Well said pigeon. The expression was used by the duke's great niece in a very respectful manner. Too many people getting offended on behalf of others.

No, it is offensive I have deaf in-laws, and they, and many within the deaf community are offended by the connotations of using the word "dumb". It's as offensive as describing me as "wheelchair-bound". I'm not "wheelchair bound". I may rely on a wheelchair to get out and about, but I'm certainly not not tethered to it.

Well said pigeon. The expression was used by the duke's great niece in a very respectful manner. Too many people getting offended on behalf of others.

thanks for saying that . the 1881 census states that he was deaf and dumb . dumb meaning he couldnt speak.

thanks for saying that . the 1881 census states that he was deaf and dumb . dumb meaning he couldnt speak.
I had a family member who was described in the 1891 census as a "Lunatic". This would be offensive nowadays, but we're talking history here.

Archived