Great Expectations

spooky3

I'm an animator and am considering having a play with the concept of a modern interpretation of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

I have a few ideas, more about themes and scenes than actual literature. However my main concerns are about the number of characters and scenes, so i'm wanting to condense, condense, condense...

To that end, which parts, themes, characters are most important, memorable and relative to social values?

I'd suggest you analyze it (the book) and see which things are important and which aren't.

Maybe watch the film (original) and see what scenes worked well what didn't etc.

You might want to look on Google Scholar aswell

http://scholar.google.co.uk/schhp?hl=en&tab=ws

mmm, probably next year before the original arrives. I have been watching the recent BBC production on youtube though.

I am about to receive a copy of the book on loan from a friend (I actually bought their children it in a pack the other year...), so i'm going on things like wikipedia and BBC bitesize revision guide.

I'm struggling as to how to put it in a sci-fi setting, mainly because of the modes of thought. So every time I think about a concept, it diverges so much that it's almost unrecognisable as the original.

The scene which most people seem to remember so far is the graveyard scene with the convict.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm an animator and am considering having a play with the concept of a modern interpretation of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

I have a few ideas, more about themes and scenes than actual literature. However my main concerns are about the number of characters and scenes, so i'm wanting to condense, condense, condense...

To that end, which parts, themes, characters are most important, memorable and relative to social values?

I could re-write 'Great expectations' for you Spooky (in a very modern way!):D

What media do you use to animate?

Archived