Car Tax bands question query

I own a 2001 1.8 Mondeo and last years car tax was band I, this year the DVLA are saying it's now band K, so I obviously queried this and the young women I've just spoke to at the DVLA, if I could understand her correctly due to her strong accent, said it maybe because my car was made before 2001, and had higher emissions on it's last MOT?

I'm now expert on this matter but it does seem very odd, so can / should cars emissions fluctuate? And therefore move tax bands?

Only more bands on cars bought from April 2010 onwards.

Are you sure? That wasn't my understanding.

Cars registered since then will have a special first year rate. I thought all other cars registered after 2001 (i think) would pay tax based on the new bands.

Note that band K includes "cars which emit more than 225g/km but were registered before 2006."

Now, could it be that last year, it was band I which included cars of this type? If so, it would explain why you have moved.

Checked my mot certificate and the emmisions are less than 225g/km.

Are you sure? That wasn't my understanding.

Cars registered since then will have a special first year rate. I thought all other cars registered after 2001 (i think) would pay tax based on the new bands.

I 99.9% think so yes, there are no extra bands this year and my car is still 180 emissions.

Archived