Santander Financial crime operations

You'll probably not remember one of my old posts on this, but I got a very similar letter from my card company, and I called the branch, they ok'd the letter and so I phoned the number on the letter.It turned out my card had a very serious fraud on it and what they had to do was read through a list of 'Spends' to see if I had done them or if they were fraudulent.

There was £7 and a half thousand amiss, they had booked holidays, bought technology, booked flights etc etc.So maybe your company is just doing you a favour.Have you been buying more than usual on your card?Cos sometimes as a safety thing, they like to check that it is you that has been spending if the pattern alters.You're doing the right thing going into the branch to sort it.Hope all is well. x

not really spending any more than usual lol, theres still bugger all on it :P

its a debit card so there wont be much fraud, only the £50 / £100 that is ever on it, even less mostly

Even debit cards can be taken overdrawn, if there's an overdraft agreement, plus then you can bust that overdraft.

Usually if a transaction takes place which is a bit iffy, then they ring you on your phone.

I agree with Andy, ring the number he has given above and query it.

If the letter has the full card number on it odds are they have stopped the card anyway for serious transgressions - typically fraudulent or odd activities. I'd get in touch with them or you may find that the next retailer gets the code on the device that instructes them to retain your card.

When I had sciatica the other year and couldn't get anywhere I was contacted by my bank (Santander) via my mobile to tell me that my card had been used fraudulently. I was unsure it was them at first as they don't usually phone you so I rang bank to make sure. It turned out to be true but it's always best to check. At the time it was the last straw for me and had to change all my online banking details.:(

If the letter has the full card number on it odds are they have stopped the card anyway for serious transgressions - typically fraudulent or odd activities. I'd get in touch with them or you may find that the next retailer gets the code on the device that instructes them to retain your card.

i used it today in a cash machine it worked fine, i still had the £100 in i had in and my wages had gone in ok

im still waiting on hearing back from the website about the letter grrrrr, off to middlesbrough shopping tommorow so ill call into a branch with the letter and ask.

i dont actually think its to do with a fraud, if the letter is correct i just need to give them telephone details etc incase there is a fraud at some point

update

i went into a branch yesterday while shopping in middlesbrough and she said it was genuine, so ive just phoned it up, completely automated :(

it asked for an account number, tried one off a statement as the letter doesnt have one, didnt work, had to enter my full card number :suspect:

in the end it was for one amazon marketplace order of £4.02????? i order off amazon marketplace all the time, so prolly was me

now if i was gonna steal cash off somebody id do a lot more than £4

they said theyll keep monitoring my account, great, so im prolly gonna have to do it again in the future :(

You'll probably not remember one of my old posts on this, but I got a very similar letter from my card company, and I called the branch, they ok'd the letter and so I phoned the number on the letter.It turned out my card had a very serious fraud on it and what they had to do was read through a list of 'Spends' to see if I had done them or if they were fraudulent.

There was £7 and a half thousand amiss, they had booked holidays, bought technology, booked flights etc etc.So maybe your company is just doing you a favour.Have you been buying more than usual on your card?Cos sometimes as a safety thing, they like to check that it is you that has been spending if the pattern alters.You're doing the right thing going into the branch to sort it.Hope all is well. x

x

Surely they would have had to give personal details to book these and as a result had their collars felt later.

Or am I naive?

x

Surely they would have had to give personal details to book these and as a result had their collars felt later.

Or am I naive?

Well, I thought that at first, but the fraudsters have lots of different methods, I though they would get people on cctv boarding the planes etc, but tickets pass through many hands and channels, and sometimes by the time the card co think it's a fraud, it's too late.If there is a pattern that has happened to several people in a short space of time, they have more chance of catching them.In my case I had to sign papers that are passed to police saying what you did and did not spend so that it can be used as evidence.You are never told if these people are caught though.However everything was refunded back to my card and my account changed.

My card was never out of my sight, never used on dodgy sites or anything, I am always very careful where I use it, so it just goes to show, some things you can't prevent.

Archived