Santander Financial crime operations

update

i went into a branch yesterday while shopping in middlesbrough and she said it was genuine, so ive just phoned it up, completely automated :(

it asked for an account number, tried one off a statement as the letter doesnt have one, didnt work, had to enter my full card number :suspect:

in the end it was for one amazon marketplace order of £4.02????? i order off amazon marketplace all the time, so prolly was me

now if i was gonna steal cash off somebody id do a lot more than £4

they said theyll keep monitoring my account, great, so im prolly gonna have to do it again in the future :(

Yeah I can understand this was a bit of a waste of time, for four quid? Maybe the card co have had a problem with that particular site at that particular time,ie a fraud committed at the same time or near as yours, so wanted to check it hadn't spread and yours was genuine.As someone else said, better safe than sorry.I wouldn't have thought they'd have contacted you uinless it was over £20 or summat, but I suppose fraud is fraud no matter how small. I'm glad it wasn't anything bad anyway.

Yeah I can understand this was a bit of a waste of time, for four quid? Maybe the card co have had a problem with that particular site at that particular time,ie a fraud committed at the same time or near as yours, so wanted to check it hadn't spread and yours was genuine.As someone else said, better safe than sorry.I wouldn't have thought they'd have contacted you uinless it was over £20 or summat, but I suppose fraud is fraud no matter how small. I'm glad it wasn't anything bad anyway.

when my credit card got cloned i was told that the fraudsters sometimes first try a small transaction of a few quid on a popular website to see if the card is still active, then they take it to the cleaners. which is probably why it got flagged.

thankfully natwest were on the ball with mine, they knew straight away that i hadnt been trying to withdraw hundreds of pounds from a cash machine or buy a bathroom :loopy: in india, the same day i'd tried to spend a few quid in waitrose in sheffield! card was stopped straight away.

i, too, have always had my card in my possession and never used it in a cash machine, so they can only have got the pin no when i used it in a shop. i now always pay for everything on my credit card and religiously cover the pin machine with my other hand, cant be too careful now.

natwest have replaced all debit cards with visa debit, so you are insured for any fraud/loss on those as well. good idea.

I got a call three weeks ago in the evening saying I owed them about £14 - I said I didn't, she checked and said she'd delete wrong information, I received a letter this week saying I did!!!

I don't want to waste money phoning them so I'll wait until they phone me again

Archived