The Railway Pub, Wadsley Bridge Re-opens

Orphee

I wonder if anybody else has noticed the Railway pub, just below the railway bridge where Penistone Road becomes Halifax road, has been opening weekends and Sheffield Wednesday match days for a short while now. Good to see a pub opening rather than closing, so I went in on Sunday afternoon to check it out.

Lots of trad pub seating - red velvet seats around the walls, a tuned piano in one room and guitars too. The landlady is very keen on people turning up to make music, and has plans to open up the stage/function room at the rear of the pub, once things get moving. She also mentioned that she's keen to introduce real ales, at the moment she has Nutty Black and one other Sam Smith's 'Original' I think, more to follow. (I made a personal request for Taylors' Landlord).

The pub is open right across the Christmas/New Year period and then depending on trade may open right across the week thereafter. I'm off down there tomorrow night, hope plenty of others will be there. Apparently it's been crammed on match days, but could do with more on others.

Great news especially with the loss of the Gate and did I hear a rumour about the travellers going to make way for yet another supermarket.

Like the idea of the real beer and the music theme

Let us hope the local populus take to it.

Donkeys years ago the Railway originally had a concert room at the rear,as the years went by it dissapeared & was replaced by the snooker table,glad the railway is breathing again,had many a good night doing the Wadsley bridge wobble,Horse,Pheasent,New inn,Railway,Travs & Gate(rip).

I went in for a pint, drunk it and went back to the bar for a re-fill. The land lady was only seving 1 person and I stood next to him. As she was at the till somebody else came to the bar and she turned round from the till and served him instead. I walked out and went across to the New Bridge Inn in disgust.

If she wants to retain customers she should serve people in turn! Fair enough if she was busy but it was obvious I was next.

Shan't go there again.

Great news especially with the loss of the Gate and did I hear a rumour about the travellers going to make way for yet another supermarket.

Like the idea of the real beer and the music theme

Let us hope the local populus take to it.

The rumour about thr Travellers is correct. It shuts in a few months time

The rumour about thr Travellers is correct. It shuts in a few months time

i thought it was a listed building????still,didn,t stop em pulling the horseshoe down,did it????

maybe this one will "mysteriously" catch fire like the dial house,pinegrove and horseshoe did when people raised objections.

Archived