WW2 decoys around fox house.

only_me

An old friend once told me that decoy lights were placed around the moors near the fox house area in WW2. This would have been to fool enemy bombers away from the city. Would the Germans have fell for such a trick? After all we would have had blackouts. Whilst walking there i have seen what looks like possible bomb craters but not sure of this? Does anyone know if there is any truth in the story.

The same was done to protect Hull. a smaller-scale mockup of the docks and what-have-you was made some distance from the port itself, as from the air it would be hard to get perspective on the mockups.

There was an interesting piece in this weeks Inside-out London about decoy tanks and planes etc. used to fool the German air force.

Apologies for not being northern related but runway lights were laid out in Poole Harbour to decoy enemy aircraft away from nearby Tarrant Rushton Airfield, so convincing in fact that a Hamilcar tank carrying glider mistakenly landed there while on a night flying exercise! Apparently the pilot took quite a bit of stick over it :P

I believe that decoy lights were installed along the Moss valley during WW2.

The Moss valley is between Jordanthorpe & Eckington. The idea was to fool the German pilots into thinking that the Moss valley was the Don valley. As far as I know no bombs were ever dropped on the Moss valley.

Did you ever see these decoys attacked or were they perhaps just to show more strength?

No they were just practice and no one to attack us,mind you Jeff Duke(broke the air speed record)did find us in about 5min and shower us with toilet paper:(:(:(

the area was used by airbourne forces the craters could have been hand grenade craters ? i was on moor with my father when a paratrooper ran across the road below toadsmouth & stopped to talk to father & told him that he had just completed a section where he had to run & crawl with live ammuntion being fired over his head

Archived