WW2 decoys around fox house.

only_me

There is an area like this above Lodge Moor where decoy fires and lights were lit and it must have got bombed as it is quite heavily cratered. I used to go off road 4x4ing on it. Another attempt to stop the East end getting bombed so much maybe...

Around Lodge Moor and Redmires there were some trenches dug out to give soldiers a feel for them. (Practising digging, maintaining and fighting from them)

Those craters might be the remnants of those trenches?

It seems that if these decoys worked and there is some evidence to show they did Sheffield could have been bombed worse than it was.

Yep, when you think about it our City could have been totally destroyed quite easily as most of Coventry was,planning or sheer luck who knows but horrific times. Hard to picture it when you walk down the Moor or Fargate, seems surreal....

Yep, when you think about it our City could have been totally destroyed quite easily as most of Coventry was,planning or sheer luck who knows but horrific times. Hard to picture it when you walk down the Moor or Fargate, seems surreal....

It wasn't that hard to picture it when I was growing up. Half the Moor was a bomb site in those days, especially on the left side when going towards the Town hall.

Archived