General strike illegal?

Not quite sure I understand your English there but to clarify the secondary picketing laws have never been used.

Don't know why you bothered to start the thread since the chances of a general strike are very low. Is it because you are just another Percy Sugden living in the past?

With reference to your tired accusation that Wildcat believes in intimidation I would like to ask if you are a pacifist? If not then you believe in the use of intimidation and force to secure political ends.

I asked the question because I was geninuly interested in the answer. I was half expecting the loonly left brigade to appear and you didnt dissapoint me on that.

Who the hell is Percy Sugden anyway?

Not wanting to restart the thread, which was closed anyway, but

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7028146&postcount=67

wrote "general strikes are illegal"

I was just wondering on the source/reason for that as I've never heard that one before.

I'm not sure whether a General Strike would be legal or not. It would certainly be stupid though. Most of the UK's industries have been moving abroad and a general strike would certainly accelerate that trend.

Most of the financial industries would be able to move overseas within hours, and even heavy industry like motor manufacturing and steel could have its output met by overseas plants without the loss of a single sale. The plants would then be likely to close, be mothballed or simply have their plant moved to cheaper locations around the world. I'm sure its just what a lot of industries are waiting for.

How many people lost their jobs when Rover moved to China? Did anyone actually miss out on buying a new car because of it?

I'm not sure whether a General Strike would be legal or not. It would certainly be stupid though. Most of the UK's industries have been moving abroad and a general strike would certainly accelerate that trend.

Most of the financial industries would be able to move overseas within hours, and even heavy industry like motor manufacturing and steel could have its output met by overseas plants without the loss of a single sale. The plants would then be likely to close, be mothballed or simply have their plant moved to cheaper locations around the world. I'm sure its just what a lot of industries are waiting for.

How many people lost their jobs when Rover moved to China? Did anyone actually miss out on buying a new car because of it?

Well not really because Rover's build quality at that time was perforce utterly dire. Theres no point in buying British if the product falls apart 2 weeks later and costs more than a decent German or Japanese import.

Well not really because Rover's build quality at that time was perforce utterly dire. Theres no point in buying British if the product falls apart 2 weeks later and costs more than a decent German or Japanese import.

I was generalising when I used Rover as an example. However at the time the cars were vastly improved on the earlier production as a result of major investment by both Honda and BMW. BMW in the end realised the folly of manufacturing on a large scale in the UK and sold everything off except Mini; and that plant could be moved out of the UK at short notice.

In the last decade Ford have moved its entire UK car manufacturing capacity abroad, Vauxhall about 75%, and Japanese manufacturers who moved into the UK 20 years ago are slowly moving production to other European countries.

I also imagine one strike and the UK steel industry would move to India and never return.

Not really. Since you know I don't own a TV licence from your previous discussions it's not rocket science to figure out that I never watch Coronation Street and there is hardly sufficient info on Wackypedia to make a decsion.

So then child, who is he?

A character I imagine you are very much like. What I have noticed over the years is the pro strike people are quite cheerful in outlook and it's those against it who are the bitter angry ones, you are evidence of that.

In the meantime you never answered whether you were a pacifist or not. If not then you are a hypocrite for whining about intimidation being wrong when you evidently support it.

A General strike would be political and secondary action. Banned under Thatcher's anti-Trade Union laws for the latter reason and probably banned earlier under the former.

The only way we could practically have a legal general strike would be for every workplace to be in a legal dispute at the same time and call strikes on the same day.

but hardly anyone is in a union today....no one in the ale shop can remember the last time they paid union fees....

Archived