A wise old man in the pub taught me about money tonight..

Did you know that back in the 70s the 2p coin was worth more than it's actual value do to Copper prices? Wish I woul have been around then to take advantage of that one, apparently a 2p coin at it's height was worth 3.5p.....work it out for yourself, I have got my hands on £1000 worth of 2p coins from every bank I could get them from and shuld I want to I have made an instant profit of £750....BONUS!.......A shame for us though in current times it's only worth about 0.2p which isn't quite as exciting :(

The reason for that price drop is that they are made of steel with just a coating of copper.

Copper is currently fetching about £4000/tonne, and a penny weighs an eighth of an ounce: about 14p worth.

Steel is maybe £150/tonne, which would make your tuppence worth about 1p in metal.

Hi

A bit of copy and paste here folks

All Scottish banks have the right to print their own notes. Three choose to do so: The Bank of Scotland (founded 1695), The Royal Bank of Scotland (founded 1727) and the Clydesdale Bank (owned by National Australia Bank). Only the Royal Bank prints pound notes. All the banks print 5,10,20 and 100 notes. Only the Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank print 50 pound notes.

Scottish bank notes are not legal tender in Scotland. English bank notes of denomination less than 5UKP were legal tender in Scotland under Currency and Bank Notes Act 1954. Now, with the removal of BoE 1UKP notes, only coins constitute legal tender in Scotland. English bank notes are only legal tender in England, Wales, The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. In Scotland, 1 pound coins are legal tender to any amount, 20ps and 50ps are legal tender up to 10 pounds; 10p and 5ps to 5 pounds and 2p and 1p coins are legal tender to 20p (separately or in combination). 2 pounds coins and (if you can get hold of one) 5 pound coins are also legal tender to unlimited amounts, as are gold coins of the realm at face value (in Scotland at least).

Archived