Would striking over fuel prices get us anywhere?

When oil was $1.47 a barrel, what was the exchange rate between the pound and the dollar? I seem to remember it was about $2.00 = £1.00 in late 2007.

It's now $1.55 = £1.00 - worth 77.5% of what it was worth then, so $90 a barrel today is equivalent to a little over $116. It's still cheaper now than it was at its highest point, but you can't simply compare the dollar prices whilst ignoring the exchange rate.

Something I realised at some point between you reading my post and finishing your reply, as my post has since been edited :)

If they don't charge tax on petrol, where should they charge it?

If they don't charge the tax at all, should they close the public sector completely?

Road fuel is an easy target. You've got to have it. - And for those who say: "I can do without petrol", do you produce everything you use? Do you walk everywhere? Does anything you use travel by any means which uses fuel? - If so then you too use road fuel - albeit indirectly.

If they don't charge tax on petrol, where should they charge it?

Always the first thing people say. But let me turn it around - have you given any in-depth thought to what else to tax? Or how to spend more efficiently to do the same job with lower taxes? No, because you're not in Government and it's their job not yours? Same here.

But what I do know is that the tax on fuel has risen much more rapidly than inflation over the last few years. And let's not forget the icing on the cake - after they've slapped an unfair and extortionate amount of tax on the fuel, they then tax us AGAIN by applying VAT to the duty.

Oh, and I didn't say they shouldn't charge any tax on fuel. I'd like to see them remove the VAT from the duty portion though, and only add it to the actual product. Or reverse all rises since the credit crunch. They've essentially been kicking us while we're down.

Who won't do a blind thing when elected.

That, and there aren't enough people out there able to think for themselves and realise that "That will take money away from schools and hospitals" is nothing but a well-rehearsed line used by politicians to thinly veil the fact that they had no intention of doing it in the first place.

How do you know, unless you try? We've had a fair bit of success electing parties who pledge to reduce other taxes, in the past; notably getting income tax down from 33% to where it is now.

And there was silly old me voting Lib Dem to erradicate tuition fees. :hihi:

Personally this is why I'd make manifestos legally binding. I think all parties in the run up to elections make promises/commitments/pledges that they cannot/will not keep in power. The Tories act anti EU to gather the votes of their 'core' support when in reality they do little to change the situation when in power. Labour have done the same regarding issues of renationalisation.

Archived