Please give £2 a month

Thing is selphie, and I know it's a cliche thing to say but, nobody is holding a gun to your head. Just because they make you feel guilty that doesn't mean your freedom of choice has been compromised, it just means you have let their persuasive techniques work on you.

The same applies to all those products we don't actually need yet are sold to us on a daily basis to make us feel we are missing out if we don't buy. The same guilt a single mother feels because she can't afford to buy her children nice things for Christmas. The choice is their, regardless of whether we feel guilty or not.

That is right. You still choose. and you can't blame the charities for advertising. After all they know there is competition between charities for funds and they ate doing their best for the causes they support. They advertise because because advertising works and without it they would disappear intobthe crowd of the 30000 charities that exist in this country.....most of whom cannot afford to advertise.

"Just £2 a month could pay for almost 3% of the skinny lattes consumed by our creative director in the course of commisioning this advert. £10 a month could pay for an entire starter for one of our media team at a brainstorming lunch at a moderately priced restaurant. Give £50 a month and ensure that one of our brand positioning executives gets safely back to Surrey by taxi after that late night teambuilding bar crawl. Give what you can, and if life has been good to you a one off donation of just £10,000 would pay for a whole second of this advert. Thanks for caring about us. Er, no, we mean them, whatever it is we are supposed to do for them, whoever they are. Donkeys probably, or children. Donkey children. With AIDS. But the good kind you get through medical negligence, not the bad kind that Freddy Mercury got. So please think of the little donkey aids children and give all you can. Because frankly my husbands bank bonus is looking a little skinny this year and a massively opulent lifestyle doesn't come cheap. Thank you for caring."

"Just £2 a month could pay for almost 3% of the skinny lattes consumed by our creative director in the course of commisioning this advert. £10 a month could pay for an entire starter for one of our media team at a brainstorming lunch at a moderately priced restaurant. Give £50 a month and ensure that one of our brand positioning executives gets safely back to Surrey by taxi after that late night teambuilding bar crawl. Give what you can, and if life has been good to you a one off donation of just £10,000 would pay for a whole second of this advert. Thanks for caring about us. Er, no, we mean them, whatever it is we are supposed to do for them, whoever they are. Donkeys probably, or children. Donkey children. With AIDS. But the good kind you get through medical negligence, not the bad kind that Freddy Mercury got. So please think of the little donkey aids children and give all you can. Because frankly my husbands bank bonus is looking a little skinny this year and a massively opulent lifestyle doesn't come cheap. Thank you for caring."

To be fair alot of charities are becoming more accountable as to where your money goes. I know that in the case of Oxfam 80% of a donation goes straight to the frontline fighting disaster etc, 10% goes on admin (shop rent etc) and 10% goes towards future fundraising.

I should imagine alot of other charities are the same.

To be fair alot of charities are becoming more accountable as to where your money goes. I know that in the case of Oxfam 80% of a donation goes straight to the frontline fighting disaster etc, 10% goes on admin (shop rent etc) and 10% goes towards future fundraising.

I should imagine alot of other charities are the same.

Er, there seems to be some stuff missing from that, unless the 80% includes the general business activities. e.g. flights, management, procurement, distribution, etc... It'd be impossible to just cover that in admin, what your describing as admin is fund-raising admin.

Either way, I give... and help occasionally!

But recently every time i've gone up or down the Moor i've been challenged and virtually abused, sometimes 3 or 4 times a go...

Many of these "chuggers" (or the firms that employ them) get commission if you sign up for these monthly contributions, often around £100 per new direct debit secured, canceling out your actual donations.

'Chugger' premiums can swallow donations

When you factor in the high salaries of charity CEO's, it's a wonder any of your money goes to where it should.

Charity chuggers may be breaking law and should be boycotted

High street fundraisers, known as chuggers, may be breaking the law and should be boycotted, a charity watchdog has said.

Intelligent Giving, which carried out a "mystery shopper" survey of 50 face-to-face fundraisers, representing 18 charities, found that many misled the public and were motivated more by greed than by altruism.

The watchdog found that only 8 per cent admitted how they were paid. The Charities Act states that "the method by which remuneration is determined and the 'notifiable amount' of that remuneration" must be disclosed "before a donor has authorised an agreement to donate"

LINK

Personally I would never give to these parasitical scum. Give to local charities where you know that your money will actually reach those in real need.

rspca collectors came to our house last year, my hubby let them in and agreed to donate £2 a month by way of direct debit, i was so angry with him giving our bank details out to every tom dick and harry! and the fact i do donate to a charity already on a regular basis. a couple of weeks past and my sister phoned me she was really upset, apparently she too signed up to donate to the same charity callers, they took 35 pound out of her bank account, it was only suppose to be £2! i immediateley rang my bank and cancelled the direct debit.

Archived