Rotherham brings back charges for Saturday Parking

Parking used to be free after 3 pm and now it is free on Saturday but not for much longer. Cllr. Richard Russell is looking at other options, BBC News.

It's no longer possible to park for free on the edge of the town centre as parking bays now exist pretty much everywhere. Where people used to park and walk, like on Sheffield Road, it is now pretty much deserted after the charges came in.

I could understand the need to restrict cars in somewhere like Sheffield that still has a centre that people would want to come to but what is left in Rotherham? The empty shops on the High Street have been painted over so the centre doesn't appear to be a ghost town but there has been seven empty shops in a row on the High Street now for over a year. Apart from Primark and Smiths, what is there. It doesn't even have a Starbucks or a Costa.

So the council will make some addittional revenue from parking, but why would anyone choose to come to Rotherham to do their shopping?

Parking used to be free after 3 pm and now it is free on Saturday but not for much longer. Cllr. Richard Russell is looking at other options, BBC News.

It's no longer possible to park for free on the edge of the town centre as parking bays now exist pretty much everywhere. Where people used to park and walk, like on Sheffield Road, it is now pretty much deserted after the charges came in.

I could understand the need to restrict cars in somewhere like Sheffield that still has a centre that people would want to come to but what is left in Rotherham? The empty shops on the High Street have been painted over so the centre doesn't appear to be a ghost town but there has been seven empty shops in a row on the High Street now for over a year. Apart from Primark and Smiths, what is there. It doesn't even have a Starbucks or a Costa.

So the council will make some addittional revenue from parking, but why would anyone choose to come to Rotherham to do their shopping?

Would have liked to give a reply to your post but you have summed it up 100%, Rotherham is a total ****e of a place, the council dont seem to learn by their mistakes, I have lived in the Rotherham borough for over sixty years and watched it just go down and down.

Go to Rotherham town on a Saturday to the market for fruit and veg and thats it get out as fast as we can, 30 minutes is too long to stay in such a place.

Jeremy Clarkson summed Rotherham up with the following sketch, sit look and have a good laugh.

The number of boarded up shops in Rotherham increases every month. The free parking was an attempt to revive the town centre, but it was too late. The council killed it some years ago, so it cannot be said that the removal of free parking is another nail in the coffin. The coffin was buried some years ago as all the civic dignitaries looked on.

I went down Rotherham today, its worse than an under developed country,I thought we were remembering 70 yrs of the sheffield blitz,it looks like one or two dropped on Rotherham and the caring,inept council havn't got round to putting it right yet,oops sorry it was they who caused it.When ARE they going to wake up from slumberland and realize people go to meadowhall because there is FREE parking and a lot of shops and its safe also warm.There's plenty of cheap barber's shops and dubious takeaways but NO real shops.the council also pay a town centre manager to tell them everything is hunky-dory and they can then stay in cloud cuckoo land.

I have worked in Rotherham for the last four years and I can be in the town centre in 15 minutes, by car, from home. Nothing seems to have changed. I understand that Tesco is moving to where the council offices are now by the Arts Centre and the new council offices are beginning to take shape. There's the flats by the river and entrance to Tescos that appear to be standing empty and everything just feels incomplete. There are new businesses in the Imperial Buildings that have just been refurbished and I don't see how they can be sustained.

The latest 'innovation' is a discount scheme in shops for people with a loyalty card. I remember when I moved back up here in 1999, that the town had some interesting shops.

I looked on the website to find out what was happening having googled 'Rotherham town centre development' and the stuff coming up is over two years old. Is the council really that incompetent? Is no-one bothered?

Is Rotherham just becoming a suburb of sheffield?

I have worked in Rotherham for the last four years and I can be in the town centre in 15 minutes, by car, from home. Nothing seems to have changed. I understand that Tesco is moving to where the council offices are now by the Arts Centre and the new council offices are beginning to take shape. There's the flats by the river and entrance to Tescos that appear to be standing empty and everything just feels incomplete. There are new businesses in the Imperial Buildings that have just been refurbished and I don't see how they can be sustained.

The latest 'innovation' is a discount scheme in shops for people with a loyalty card. I remember when I moved back up here in 1999, that the town had some interesting shops.

I looked on the website to find out what was happening having googled 'Rotherham town centre development' and the stuff coming up is over two years old. Is the council really that incompetent? Is no-one bothered?

Is Rotherham just becoming a suburb of sheffield?

Rotherham is becoming sub everything. It really annoys me. I needed to go to the bank on my last and very probably final visit to the town centre in the late Summer and barely heard the native tongue spoken whilst walking through the streets. It is a very sad demise for what once was a bustling town centre with many high street stores. They all left......RIP.

Archived