Will you tip the postie for Christmas?

its christmas of course you tip them,and the binman,spread some christmas cheer you scrooges :)mine have got lovely bottle of wine

"Scrooge" can only be an description of someone who is a wealthy miser. Shaming poor people into giving christmas bonusses to people who may be enjoying a higher income is quite morally wrong in my view.

I think that it is only appropriate to give a tip to a postman if you are on a higher pay scale.

He's getting paid to do his job anyway, why does he deserve a bonus. Especially when I have worked very hard all year too but I never get any kind of bonus, why should I loose out.

To be perfectly honest, Because I have to bin mountains of junk mail every year, and very few actual legitimate post items, it is more of an inconvenience than a service most of the time.

I think it would be more fair to give a tip to bar staff and shop workers on the bare minimum wage level than postmen, they have to put up with rude customers and monotonous work, whereas being out and about delivering seems to be to be a much more pleasent career choice.

I think that's the biggest load of pap I've read on any Royal Mail bashing thread yet.....Congrats for knowing nothing about what it's like to be a postie :thumbsup:

The whole point of giving xmas tips for ANY occupation is a bit of extra thanks for doing your job well or going the extra mile. What's wrong with that.

I think that it is only appropriate to give a tip to a postman if you are on a higher pay scale.

He's getting paid to do his job anyway, why does he deserve a bonus. Especially when I have worked very hard all year too but I never get any kind of bonus, why should I loose out.

To be perfectly honest, Because I have to bin mountains of junk mail every year, and very few actual legitimate post items, it is more of an inconvenience than a service most of the time.

I think it would be more fair to give a tip to bar staff and shop workers on the bare minimum wage level than postmen, they have to put up with rude customers and monotonous work, whereas being out and about delivering seems to be to be a much more pleasent career choice.

According to an article in the Telegraph a couple of years ago the starting salary is £16,268pa about £7.82/hr for a 40hr week. Not a massive amount but I grant you nobody should be obliged to tip with money. I'd think a simple

'thank you' for a job well done, if you feel so inclined, should suffice.

I don't get a bonus either but I sure appreciate that my particular postie is excellent, which I think should be recognised.

Here's my free tip to you this Christmas; you should sign up to the mailing preference service.

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

Tipping is a very valuable thing to do when you want to recognise someone who may have gone out of their way to provide an excellent service to you. If that great level of service happens year-round and your tip is only once a year, then that's even better value. However, tipping for normal or mediocre service kind of destroys the value of the real tip in the end. A certain profession should not really have the expectation of a tip for a non-special level of service, in my opinion.

Of course, if you're not a tipper, don't tip at all - you won't feel bad about not tipping your postie or your bin-man because you don't tip barmaids and waitresses and cab drivers and takeaway delivery people (this is most often a simple rounding-up of the bill, rather than waiting for your change, really).

With the posties changing all of the time these days, and the fact that they deliver when most people are at work, it becomes almost impossible for some people to tip anyway.

Hippo

We live a bit out in the sticks and I often make a cup of tea for him if he's not in a hurry or find a cold drink when it is very hot. I gave him a pack of beer when he delivered a couple of days ago.

As others have said you don't need to tip the postman. I do because I think that on occasions he makes a little extra effort when things don't go 100% as they should.

We always had the same Chap for a good few years , he told me he used to post a card through everyones letterbox 2nd week in December ...(theres over 100 houses on our Road) so he'd 'average' £200 just from our Road in tips ...Then the rest of his round would bring him lots more by posting them a Card too ...One year he told me he'd received around £2,000 in tips ...:o

I'll give our new postman a couple o' quid next time i see him :)

I'll give our postie a tip - start bringing OUR post to us and take OTHER people's post to them, when he starts getting that right I might even give him money !

Well said, I'll also give mine another tip, stop bringing our post at teatime you blithering idiot.

Archived