The Peacock in Bakewell or Fawlty Towers?

Having just stayed at the Peacock in Bakewell l think we have found a real life Fawlty Towers on our own doorstep.

We stayed in Bakewell over the weekend to attend a wedding and due to the weather being so poor set off early on Saturday just in case. We were to book in to the Peacock for 11am but arrived at about 10am is (slightly early). We were told by a friendly member of the local Rotary Club that we could see someone by going through a side door. He also mentioned that they are usually in bed at this time...strange l thought but hey! After about 10mins we attracted the attention of the Chef who was busy working in the kitchen. We said we were early and wondered where we were staying, the Chef disappeared and told us, came back and told us to come back around half ten. We wandered into the town centre and went for breakfast. We arrived back at the Peacock at 10.50am and were greeted by a guy in painting gear complete with yellow rubber gloves. He took us to the "cottage". He opened the door, and on looking in told us to give him 10 minutes. The furniture was stacked up like a Poltergeist film, strange when you consider it was costing £110 per night. He told us he had been painting and had forgotten we were staying.

10 minutes later and we entered. The room was set up, including cans of paint in the wardrobe, planks of wood under the four poster bed, video boxes behind another bed, laughable really. There was no kettle( we got one later), the bathroom was half done, very little information about anything. There were no spare blankets or extra pillows just 2 pillows and a thin duvet. We didn't get a wink of sleep due to the noise outside, the cold room and lack of customer care.

Breakfast was served by a local who complained that it was too busy (15 guests staying) and she had only had 30 minutes to set up. She had no idea about customer care, fingers in cups, picking toast up with her hands etc.

If you are thinking of a romantic weekend in the countryside...steer clear of the Fawlty Peacock!!!:sad:

Not to be confused with the Peacock at Rowsley (just down the road) For less than £110 you could have had triple the service and luxury. I stayed at the Rowsley Peacock for my fifth wedding anniversary and it was lovely. 1st class rooms and food.

Sorry you had such a bad experience.

'This... is... typical. Absolutely typical. The kind of... A**E! I've had to put up with from you people! You ponce in here expecting to be hand-waited on hand and foot! Well, I'm trying to run a hotel here! Have you any idea of how much there is to do? Do you ever think of that? Of course not! You're too busy sticking your noses into every corner, poking about for things to complain about, aren't you? Well, let me tell you something! This is exactly how Nazi Germany started! A lot of layabouts with nothing better to do than to cause trouble! Well, I've had 15 years of pandering to the likes of you, and I've had enough! I've had it! Come on! Pack your bags and get out!'

Archived