The Peacock in Bakewell or Fawlty Towers?

Booked in to the Cavendish hotel at Baslow a few years ago for 2 days over Christmas ... Christmas eve and Christmas day. I really wanted a Christmas lunch to remember as it was a present for my wife (now ex)

The food was awful (microwave?) and we had to leave half way through as the table next to us had a load of screaming kids who were chucking food and running around our table. This was supposed to be a romantic Christmas and was totally wrecked! Total cost ...£1000 ... pathetic, don't go there!

Same with Hassop Hall ... £400 for a night (including a poor meal) ... the four poster bed was a mish mash of different bits of wood and stained cloth, the windows were cracked with bits missing out of them and the toilet didn't work! On top of that you had to wait for 20 minutes at the bar to get a drink - hardly condusive to a romantic weekend! Don't go there! :gag::rant:

Been to the Peacock on a couple of occasions (just for afternoon tea). Thought the first time may have just been a glitch (everyonene has bad days), the second time was equally bad ... the service is awful and the place is a dump! I'm really wanting to stay at the Monsal Hotel just up the road ... I go there a lot to eat as the food's excellent but never stayed there. Anyone else stayed there? :|

Booked in to the Cavendish hotel at Baslow a few years ago for 2 days over Christmas ... Christmas eve and Christmas day. I really wanted a Christmas lunch to remember as it was a present for my wife (now ex)

The food was awful (microwave?) and we had to leave half way through as the table next to us had a load of screaming kids who were chucking food and running around our table. This was supposed to be a romantic Christmas and was totally wrecked! Total cost ...£1000 ... pathetic, don't go there!

Same with Hassop Hall ... £400 for a night (including a poor meal) ... the four poster bed was a mish mash of different bits of wood and stained cloth, the windows were cracked with bits missing out of them and the toilet didn't work! On top of that you had to wait for 20 minutes at the bar to get a drink - hardly condusive to a romantic weekend! Don't go there! :gag::rant:

£1000 for two nights there?! Hope you didn't pay it...

What happened to the 'no naming and shaming' policy on this forum, it seems to be applied selectively.

--

What ... you think it's OK for places to get away with their poor service? :loopy:

I'm equally happy to recommend somewhere that provides good service! Do you just want to bury your head in the sand and find out for yourself?

This is the forum where people discuss stuff as implied by 'General discussions' :)

What ... you think it's OK for places to get away with their poor service? :loopy:

I'm equally happy to recommend somewhere that provides good service! Do you just want to bury your head in the sand and find out for yourself?

This is the forum where people discuss stuff as implied by 'General discussions' :)

Hay don't shoot the messenger, I too am happy for these threads to be here, but lots of them get removed under the no naming and shaming policy, but this one has survived (for now ;)).

Archived