EDL membership list gets pinched

How does an Asian woman and a Black man addressing an EDL rally sit with your remarks that the EDL are both racist and "****-bashers"?

I think it's more akin to the communal violence in India. There you have Hindu, Muslim and Sikh nationalist bigots attacking others, often resulting in deaths. The fact that they all have brown skin and their actions can't therefore be racist is no comfort. Since the EDL are simply anti-Muslim they will hook up with anyone else who is, I wouldn't be surprised if there are Hindu nationalists among their ranks. The BNP also tried to recruit Sikhs in west London on the basis that some of them hate Muslims.

It's like the sectarian politics of Northern Ireland but within immigrant communities. Hooking up with sectarian hate-mongers doesn't become something to applaud just because some of them happen to be brown. And trying to transfer the communal violence of India to the UK is nothing to be proud of either.

I think it's more akin to the communal violence in India. There you have Hindu, Muslim and Sikh nationalist bigots attacking others, often resulting in deaths. The fact that they all have brown skin and their actions can't therefore be racist is no comfort. Since the EDL are simply anti-Muslim they will hook up with anyone else who is, I wouldn't be surprised if there are Hindu nationalists among their ranks. The BNP also tried to recruit Sikhs in west London on the basis that some of them hate Muslims.

It's like the sectarian politics of Northern Ireland but within immigrant communities. Hooking up with sectarian hate-mongers doesn't become something to applaud just because some of them happen to be brown. And trying to transfer the communal violence of India to the UK is nothing to be proud of either.

well they use the star of david flags as tools on the marches too

Id agree with all of that. However that doesn't excuse those on the forum or elsewhere who use "racist" as a sort of lazy shorthand for "bad". It's those people who give various organisations an easy out if they have a token black/brown/jewish/bright purple member to knock back criticism of their alledged "racism". If the reallity is anti-muslim bigotry then let's call it that, not racism.

Id agree with all of that. However that doesn't excuse those on the forum or elsewhere who use "racist" as a sort of lazy shorthand for "bad". It's those people who give various organisations an easy out if they have a token black/brown/jewish/bright purple member to knock back criticism of their alledged "racism". If the reallity is anti-muslim bigotry then let's call it that, not racism.

The EDL's problem (well, one of them) is that they let any old idiot in as long as they hate Muslims, so they get a good number of racists joining up (plenty of YouTube footage of them chanting "we hate Pakis more than you"). So to some degree they are racist. And they have BNP members in their ranks as well, I've previously posted about some of them having Waffen SS insignia as their avatars on Facebook. So to a degree they are even Nazi. But overall I think the organisation is sectarian more than racist or Nazi.

Their other big problem is that they are too thick to realise that just having marches doesn't make a sustainable political movement. They're directionless. I say turn up to oppose them when they march, get in the way, don't kick off and they will get bored and give it up pretty quickly.

The EDL's problem (well, one of them) is that they let any old idiot in as long as they hate Muslims, so they get a good number of racists joining up (plenty of YouTube footage of them chanting "we hate Pakis more than you"). So to some degree they are racist. And they have BNP members in their ranks as well, I've previously posted about some of them having Waffen SS insignia as their avatars on Facebook. So to a degree they are even Nazi. But overall I think the organisation is sectarian more than racist or Nazi.

Their other big problem is that they are too thick to realise that just having marches doesn't make a sustainable political movement. They're directionless. I say turn up to oppose them when they march, get in the way, don't kick off and they will get bored and give it up pretty quickly.

Their leader Steven Yaxley-Lennon is a BNP member. What more does anyone need to know about the motivations of the EDL.

how can people hate the EDL? All they do is stick up for white working class english people and protest against poppy burning muslims.

WHITE English people?

They go out of their way to claim that they are not interested in skin colour - doesn't take long for the mask to slip does it?

Archived