High-speed rail line will be 'pleasing to look at'

anyone living near disused railway stations should be made aware that in the future these could be reopened .having worked on the railway infrastructure in the past building new stations/upgrading exisiting ones, it might not be too far in the distant future when we see the old and dilapidated ones being brought back into service.

Exactly! Why spend loads of money on trains to London when small, local railways that could be transporting people to work in their own cities lie disused? Surely more people need to go to their own local cities everyday than need to go to London. It's flaming barking mad!

Actually it was London I was thinking of :hihi: Most of the 'local' commuter lines into London are overcrowded to the point of being unsafe, extremely expensive and very, very unpleasant to use. I'm sure that local lines all over the UK need work, but travelling into London on local lines really is its own kind of hell.

• 1 year later...
Who on earth doesn't want to get to their destination by train fast, particularly the capital?

Maybe its attitudes like yours which is the reason why the high speed line won't be going through Sheffield.

What I find the most saddening is that back in the 60s Japan had faster trains that we ever will see.

I don't. I am quite happy to sit down on a train and relax - letting the train take the strain, in the words of the advert.

Thank god it won't be going through sheffield -

And as for Japan - they live in an overcrowded country and flock like rats onto the trains - similar to what London is like.

The only benefit I can see to a high speed line, is to speed people away from London.

anyone living near disused railway stations should be made aware that in the future these could be reopened .having worked on the railway infrastructure in the past building new stations/upgrading exisiting ones, it might not be too far in the distant future when we see the old and dilapidated ones being brought back into service.

I hope so - it would be lovely to think these old lines could be opened and used again.

NASA Associate Bradley Edwards said an elevator into space would cost 20 Billion dollars.

How can a railway line cost £33 Billion?

They'll pay anything.

That's £33 Billion before the contractors start shaking their heads and tutting and pointing at damp patches and saying things like "Ooh, I don't like the look of that, that's gonna cost yer"

Archived