Appliance hire

Originally posted by The Cycleracer

When i was a lad my mum used to hire our black and white telly and washing machine.

Today most people own there T.Vs and automatics.

Does anyone still hire these appliances, people i mean, or better still do companys still do such a scheme.

As far as I am aware there is a place at Darnall called Dobsons or something....It's was a family business and they've been at it for years. My nan used to rent a tv from them. A guy used to come around on a weekly basis to collect the rental. Actually my nan once got burgled and the tv got took. She was still made to pay for that tv even though she had been a customer for most of her life and she had paid for that tv (which was old) many times over. As a result of the robbery she rented a new tv which was modern but she could never get to grips with the remote controls. She asked for the same old model which she had taken but they had been dicontinued some 20 years prior. :)

She may have rented a few other things too. These days the price of electrical goods is cheap so I can't see any benefit in renting.

I remember hiring a video when I was a student. I shared the cost of it with another student and we shared it. I had it one week, she had it the other. It was about ten pounds a month or something similar. It was so old fashioned compared to today's technology. The remote had a wire that went from the handset to the video!

As a kid my family hired a TV. It looked like a wooden box on wooden legs. No remote, just long thin oblong shaped buttons. I think it was a Ferguson and then we got a Grundig when the Ferguson finally died. The Grundig was more metallic looking, nasty chrome....

Cycle, the main hirer of t.v's and the like in Sheffield used to be Wigfalls or Wiggies as they were often known.

So much per week and a man used to come round every week to collect payments.

Archived