Cable threatens to bring Government down..

The Barclay brothers aren't wishy-washy Cameron type tories, they're more old guard colonel blimp types and hope to destabilise the coalition and make life difficult for Cameron et al.

Absolutely. The Telegraph's campaign against the coalition has been led by their rabid right wing columnists. Tebbit and Heffer are the agitators in chief.

The Barclay brothers aren't wishy-washy Cameron type tories, they're more old guard colonel blimp types and hope to destabilise the coalition and make life difficult for Cameron et al.

But why? The Cons haven't polled 40% of the vote since 1992, nearly 20 years ago. Smarmy Dave's more universally appealing brand only polled 36% this time despite the effects of the credit crunch.

They don't seem to realise that people have memories and the nations demographic has changed, making them imo unlikey to win outright again.

This may change if say, they were able to broker some sort of 'Lawson boom', or Falklands victory but either situation does not seem on the cards at present.

My late grandfather was a supporter of the wartime coalition, however he voted Labour after the war was over. He intimated to me that he could support a peacetime coalition, as the only way to keep opposing politicians from attacking each other is to make them work together.

This is the first government during my lifetime (born 1947) that I am actually interested in. They won't get everything right, but at least they will attempt to, even if it means changing their minds about polices that are clearly unaffordable.

Cable is not the government, the coalition will hopefully survive.

I would say exactly the opposite. They certainly undermined Cable. His threat to bring down the government didn't last long did it? It allowed Cameron to move him away from the one place where his politics could have caused conflict. The more the Lib/Dems popularity in opinion polls reduces the more likely they are to count their chickens and say things might be better in 2015. I've got a seat and I can't loose it unless there is a general election. So its ironic that the left leaning agitators on here have their knives into the Lib/Dems, because the deeper the wounds the more likely the coalition will hold together.

But why? The Cons haven't polled 40% of the vote since 1992, nearly 20 years ago. Smarmy Dave's more universally appealing brand only polled 36% this time despite the effects of the credit crunch.

They don't seem to realise that people have memories and the nations demographic has changed, making them imo unlikey to win outright again.

This may change if say, they were able to broker some sort of 'Lawson boom', or Falklands victory but either situation does not seem on the cards at present.

I think you could say the same about Labour. As the Lib/Dems share of the vote increased both main parties share declined, but it had a much bigger impact on the Tories as the Lib/Dems took more seats away from them than Labour. A decline in Lib/Dem fortunes would restore the staus quo, but with say 8-10% support for the Lib/Dems the Tories would regain far more seats than the Labour Party.

I think you could say the same about Labour. As the Lib/Dems share of the vote increased both main parties share declined, but it had a much bigger impact on the Tories as the Lib/Dems took more seats away from them than Labour. A decline in Lib/Dem fortunes would restore the staus quo, but with say 8-10% support for the Lib/Dems the Tories would regain far more seats than the Labour Party.

:huh: Lab polled 43% in 2001 and 1997.

:huh: Lab polled 43% in 2001 and 1997.

Wow. That high. So what you are saying is in elections the Conservatives have won they polled over 40%, but in the ones they didn't they polled less. I'm not sure whether that actually constitutes a trend.

Archived