Vw polo keeps cutting out

I am hoping a mechanic on here can help me with some possible reasons for my car to suddenly start cutting out randomly.

Started this morning, once, whilst stopped at idle speed. Started immediately and got me to work okay (2 miles).

Cut out again on way home exactly as above. Then it cut out three quarters of the way up Cooks Wood Rd whilst running at about 2000 rpm. Started first time and got me home okay (1 mile)

Before switching off I noticed the revs were fluctuating between approx. 700-800 rpm.

Anyone any ideas please

It is a petrol Fiat Stilo by the way and I have used carb cleaner in it recently.

Does the engine management light come on at all when its playing up

Thanks for replies. Have asked around a bit today and the majority of responses were 'Try cleaning the throttle body with carb cleaner first'.

If that doesn't work, I've been told to check and clean connection of sensors.

Engine warning light only comes on after engine has stalled same as when key is in position '2'.

Will do all this on Saturday and get back to you. Thanks again.

---------- Post added 11-09-2016 at 06:11 ----------

Saturday update.

Plugs changed, and tightened correctly. HT leads checked for connectivity, okay.

Throttle body cleaned and checked for damage. Hoses checked for splits. Sensors cleaned and wiring checked.

No improvement. in fact I think it is now worse.

Edited by mad-dad