I'm happier with fewer possessions!

I've totally de-cluttered my life, either give away or sold nearly more than half of all my possessions, I've even cut off contact from people whom i feel are nothing but trouble, whether they be family or not, I've just give away my last Rockport hooded top I hardly ever wore to some alcoholic dude with a loadsa bags near Cathedral, it feels like I've had a massive tumour removed and I can start life properly all over again.

I now feel free and happier with much fewer possessions, I can breathe and now start to focus on what is really important in life, which is fun, education, enlightenment, sex, travel, helping true friends and good health. It is experiences that life is worth living for, not possessions

So my question is has anyone else considered or even done a total breakaway from consumerism? if so how has this made you into the person you are today, or if not, has it ever crossed your mind that a happy life is a simple life!?

Your thoughts, criticism, hippy bashing and general cynicism welcomed....

I like my possessions a lot and I wouldn't give them up. I collect old scientific stuff and I don't really see it as mine, more I'm the custodian and curator of it for the next generation.

As for the normal consumer possessions like the latest gadget, huge plasma TV, smart phone, Ipad or a new flash car I'm not at all interested. Couldn't care less about that sort of stuff.

I share your sentiments.

On the other hand though I think it's important that we have people who will buy crap they don't need because it keeps the economy ticking along and provides employment for a growing population. I'd rather have a society of spenders than savers because spending is what legitimises production and creates jobs. Imagine if everyone was anti-consumerist. Problem is, a large portion of the wealth accumulated does not get spent back in the real economy which creates the inbalance between production and purchasing power we see today.

Good for you! There's a lot to be said for this. I wish my house were smaller, but since my kids are getting older, I've been able to give many of the things they no longer use to family, friends, or anyone who can use them. I'm in the process of paring down my belongings to only those I really love and use and I'm trying to get my husband to do the same. I'll have the occasional pang over a piece of furniture or a book, but 98% of it I don't miss.

I've seen too many people either defined by what they own, and a few who made the colossal mistake of accumulating more stuff and bigger houses the older they got. The older you get the more simple your life should be, not the other way around.

Much sense in what you say Sierra. I have emotional ties to some stuff, as it was in my mum's family for a while, and I'm now the only one left so I feel a bit like a custodian. Its not valuable, just means something to me. However when we moved house and downsized 5 years ago I got rid of lots of stuff, and now when we get a charity bag I always try to find a few things to put in it. I took some books to the charity shop yesterday.

However, I like having some things around me and being comfortable in my home. Presents from family and friends, pictures and photos (especially of the grandchildren). I don't buy much, the only thing I've bought recently was a pair of warm boots! I could never be minimalist, like the OP. I'd miss the TV, PC, washing machine and dishwasher too much. :P

I've totally de-cluttered my life, either give away or sold nearly more than half of all my possessions, I've even cut off contact from people whom i feel are nothing but trouble, whether they be family or not, I've just give away my last Rockport hooded top I hardly ever wore to some alcoholic dude with a loadsa bags near Cathedral, it feels like I've had a massive tumour removed and I can start life properly all over again.

I now feel free and happier with much fewer possessions, I can breathe and now start to focus on what is really important in life, which is fun, education, enlightenment, sex, travel, helping true friends and good health. It is experiences that life is worth living for, not possessions

So my question is has anyone else considered or even done a total breakaway from consumerism? if so how has this made you into the person you are today, or if not, has it ever crossed your mind that a happy life is a simple life!?

Your thoughts, criticism, hippy bashing and general cynicism welcomed....

I don't suppose you have a 42 inch Lcd tv you could give me to cheer yourself up a bit more?.

If not I could make do with a smaller model if that would make you happy.

Archived