I'm happier with fewer possessions!

As has been mentioned this is an interesting thread, and OP too of course.:thumbsup:

I would like to ask you "what was the defining moment" or trigger for you to do this.

To cut along story short I was demolishing my ex GF's mums kitchen to install the new one, we then got talking and arm wresting in flour to try and settle a ongoing prolonged argument about ice pops and shopping!

This then led to me trying to clear out junk from our cupboards and home, i realised how little we used most of the crap we'd accumulated and how meaningless it was to us, but this then lead to various arguments, accusations and us splitting up, but I knew no matter what I no longer wanted to be part of this consumerism frenzy, so off it all went to friends, charity shops and Ebay at bargain prices to people who genuinely needed it.

The few quid i got back went on petrol and exploring this wonderful region, the only reputable charity cause I could find and my true A-list friends.

Over the last year, I've been de-cluttering. It's not been a quick process, as I'm having to do it "piecemeal", bit by bit. It is very tiring

In the last week, I've junked three huge black sacks of surplus clothing to go the the charity shop, and last night I sat and sifted through two boxes of papers and assorted "rammel", again, junking the rubbish.

I'm never going to have one of those beautiful minimalist places, (I'd really love a place like that) as I am a total clutterbuck, but I am getting a real sense of satisfaction in getting rid of rubbish.

Over the last year, I've been de-cluttering. It's not been a quick process, as I'm having to do it "piecemeal", bit by bit. It is very tiring

In the last week, I've junked three huge black sacks of surplus clothing to go the the charity shop, and last night I sat and sifted through two boxes of papers and assorted "rammel", again, junking the rubbish.

I'm never going to have one of those beautiful minimalist places, (I'd really love a place like that) as I am a total clutterbuck, but I am getting a real sense of satisfaction in getting rid of rubbish.

Minimalists hide things away, essentialists are the ones who don't have the clutter at all. So i'd say get some big fitted full wall cupboards, very good for hiding things!

I have hundreds of books (mainly technical) and every time I give any away I always seem to need it a few weeks later.

Same happened with a girlfriend the other year, ooh clear out all these clothes, but, but, but... Then winter came, those spare layers weren't there, then decorating needed to be done and no spare clothes for that, etc...

But in essence I agree, there's times I want to go back and live a carefree life with no attachments, but in reality I prefer a stable life with possessions and history!

I know how you feel ,I got rid of mine but a couple of weeks later I needed her to change the hoover bag

Minimalists hide things away, essentialists are the ones who don't have the clutter at all. So i'd say get some big fitted full wall cupboards, very good for hiding things!

I do pretty much the same thing but the other way round !

Here at Area 51 and a half there's masses of clutter (comps, scientific instruments and documents. Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie tins, tools etc ...etc) ... far too much to fit in even the largest cupboard!

For this reason I leave everything lying about and live in an immaculately clean white cupboard !:D:help:

I do pretty much the same thing but the other way round !

Here at Area 51 and a half there's masses of clutter (comps, scientific instruments and documents. Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie tins, tools etc ...etc) ... far too much to fit in even the largest cupboard!

For this reason I leave everything lying about and live in an immaculately clean white cupboard !:D:help:

I can't find it and can't remember what the book was actually called, but I believe it was by this guy, Jean Baudrillard, who wrote about living in a cupboard, it was architectural reading for a friend whilst I was in London.

But, I couldn't live without my piles (of books!)

Archived