I'm happier with fewer possessions!

I've just read this thread and then re-read the OP.

Couldn't agree more with this ...

It is experiences that life is worth living for, not possessions.

However, experiences, feelings, social connections are so hard to buy in Tescos, M&S or wherever, so possession act as a substitute and advertisers know it, who more often than not, sell us values, beliefs and feelings rather than products.

It's good to talk (BT)

Because I’m worth it (L'Oreal)

Believe in better (Sky)

Impossible Is Nothing (Adidas)

For Successful Living (Diesel)

It's never too late to be who you might have been (Fat Face)

Life is better lived together (Volvo)

It’s the Way it Makes You Feel (Vauxhall)

Increasingly, the uses to which we put material commodities are social or psychological in nature rather than purely material ... Today, consumer goods and services increasingly furnish us with identity, experience, a sense of belonging, perhaps even meaning and a sense of hope. Tim Jackson.

Resist! Believe in better! Life is better lived together, now go and take your Volvo and shove it where the sun don't shine! :D

I've just read this thread and then re-read the OP.

Couldn't agree more with this ...

However, experiences, feelings, social connections are so hard to buy in Tescos, M&S or wherever, so possession act as a substitute and advertisers know it, who more often than not, sell us values, beliefs and feelings rather than products.

It's good to talk (BT)

Because I’m worth it (L'Oreal)

Believe in better (Sky)

Impossible Is Nothing (Adidas)

For Successful Living (Diesel)

It's never too late to be who you might have been (Fat Face)

Life is better lived together (Volvo)

It’s the Way it Makes You Feel (Vauxhall)

Increasingly, the uses to which we put material commodities are social or psychological in nature rather than purely material ... Today, consumer goods and services increasingly furnish us with identity, experience, a sense of belonging, perhaps even meaning and a sense of hope. Tim Jackson.

Resist! Believe in better! Life is better lived together, now go and take your Volvo and shove it where the sun don't shine! :D

Some things enable experiences. Without having my snowboard and the rest of the equipment I wouldn't experience an annual holiday in the mountains with a group of friends and I wouldn't have learnt the skill and seen some amazing scenery.

A volvo is unlikely to do more than get you from A to B, but if you need a means of transport you might as well choose one that you enjoy driving hadn't you?

I must confess that I really have never liked clutter. Aesthetically, I love to have pictures on my wall and I usually have a room with a theme to it and really try to keep the objects that I buy for that room to follow a them. At the moment I am trying to get my bathroom in a seaside theme, so I have shells and a big ornamental yatch in the window.

I suppose I have been a bit obsessive about things like this in the past.

I dont ever buy an object if there isnt a place to put it so I never end up with clutter. When I do buy something I try to visualise what it will look like in the oplace that I am buying it for and if it is the wrong colour or size then I dont buy it.

I have very little that I dont use as, if I ever get things that I have accidentally acquired that I dont want, or clothes that my children have grown out of or toys they no longer wanted then I give them to FABLE, the epilepsy charity.( My son has epilepsy)

I have to have this sense of no clutter in my life as I cant cope f I dont. I think it is a control thing.

Archived