Can't decide which course to do next

leyla

I don't know about nursing, but I know it's becoming more and more difficult to get jobs in the adult learning sector. Funding is being cut more & more every year and a lot of people who used to work in colleges etc are retraining as secondary school teachers. Another aspect is that adult ed staff are often on temporary contracts so you don't get the job security you would in other posts. Don't be put off by all that if it's something you really want to do, but bear in mind you might need to be flexible about where you work and you might not have the job security that you're used to.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

• 3 weeks later...
Feel like a career change but I'm not sure if I should go into nursing or do a pgce in adult learning and skills, as I'm interested in both. Any advice appreciated.

You can't just cherry pick what you want to do. There are many tests before you will be accepted onto any training course.

To go into nursing requires a degree. If you have been out of education for many years you will need to do a one or two year access course before you can apply to a University and even then you may not be thought of as suitable unless you have done some sort of volunteer work.

Nursing courses are heavily over subscribed and competition in fierce. You have to be certain you want to do this kind of work and be prepared for many years studying.

You can't just cherry pick what you want to do. There are many tests before you will be accepted onto any training course.

To go into nursing requires a degree. If you have been out of education for many years you will need to do a one or two year access course before you can apply to a University and even then you may not be thought of as suitable unless you have done some sort of volunteer work.

Nursing courses are heavily over subscribed and competition in fierce. You have to be certain you want to do this kind of work and be prepared for many years studying.

You can enter a nurse training programme with A levels, or do a specific pre nursing course. You can qualify as a registered nurse with either a diploma or a degree. We have a couple of nurses in our family, if you are the right type of person who actually likes working with and caring for people, it can be a good career choice. Nurses are always needed.

You can enter a nurse training programme with A levels, or do a specific pre nursing course. You can qualify as a registered nurse with either a diploma or a degree. We have a couple of nurses in our family, if you are the right type of person who actually likes working with and caring for people, it can be a good career choice. Nurses are always needed.

When did the nurses in your family become nurses. Things have changed in recent years.

Archived