Help with a cv.

Remember to big yourself up. Lie through your teeth. Only the strongest survive so don't feel bad about telling porkies on a CV. It's almost expected. Where it says hobbies and interests, don't put down reading and the cinema like millions of others, put you spent a year touring with Cirque de Sollei so really Lion taming and the high trapeze take up most of your spare time. This will make you look brave and awesome. God I'm full of great ideas. I almost want to start applying for jobs just to beat everyone else.

Employers often like to see photo's on them too. Helps to remind them of who you are.

Age discrimination means that this is something that you should never do - it puts the employer in a difficult situation.

I get to sift a fair few CV's when recruiting, what I want one page one is.

Name

Qualifications relevant to THIS job that you applied for.

Other qualifications or points that are relevant to this job.

Then, employment history, most recent first. IF you have employment that is relevant and isn't the most recent, bullet that in the first section so I can find it.

Hobbies and interests I like to see, but don't put down "dining with freinds, reading, family life" you may as well just list "breathing walking, sleeping". Something different that makes you stand out from the rest helps - if I have a choice between two people and one makes Nurthumbrian smallpipes for a hobby and plays in a period band as well, they will get picked for being a darn site less boring than the other one.

A covering letter as well is a must unless the advert/recruiter specifically says don;'t provide one.

Tailor it to the job you're going for, don't put down loads of qualifications if they're not needed - you'll only go in the "over qualified and will s*d off soon" pile.

Also tailor it to yourself, it'll most likely run into two pages (no more!) so you've got room to be creative with it, decide what your best sections are going to be (or what your weakest sections are) and put the end [my work experience was completely useless for the last few jobs i've gone for, so, my work history went to the end, and on the front page i had my relevant skills and abilities, a personal profile and my degree and post grad education on the front]

That way, by the time the reader sees the not so good bits, you've already sold yourself and are viewed in a positive light so the reader is more likely to gloss over the weaker aspects. (it's called confirmation bias)

Archived