Should prisoners be given a nice christmas day?

Looked at your post #108 and...

As I said in post #115, "That ain't a valid answer!"

This is an overview of how the prison privatisation tendering system works. As you can see, there's an initial outlay by the company, but subsequent to that they are paid by the state, per prisoner, to run the facility. This is why your taxes are not being lowered through privatisation:

The GEO Group Inc (GEO, see PPRI # 68, 67, etc) is negotiating to acquire rival Correctional Services Corporation (CSC) in a $62 million deal which will combine two of the largest private prison operators in the United States. While GEO also has international operations CSC has so far failed to win a contract outside of the US. In the past the company has bid for contracts in the UK (see PPRI #64, 63, etc)

GEO is using $42 million of its own cash and has arranged a $175 million credit facility underwritten by BNP Paribas. GEO will assume CSC’s debt of $124 million. The deal is expected to be completed by the fourth quarter of 2005.

If the deal closes GEO will have 55 facilities with a total design capacity of about 43,500 beds. GEO could immediately benefit from a recent decision by Arizona’s Department of Corrections to contract with CSC to build a 1,000-bed prison in Florence for sex offenders. As an editorial in the Tucson Citizen (http://www.tucsoncitizen.com)15 July 2005 points out: “But here's the kicker: CSC will charge the state $61 a day to house each inmate. The state could do it for $50 a day in a state facility. The CSC bill works out to an extra $11,000 a day for Arizona taxpayers - and an extra $4.1 million a year. So where is the ‘responsible fiscal management’ of which legislators boasted? CSC explains its higher cost by saying it will have an ‘innovative rehabilitation program’. We'll see.”

http://www.psiru.org/justice/ppri69.htm

Here's a bit more about prison tendering in the UK from The Independant-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-ready-to-accept-jail-bids-the-prison-service-today-moves-to-agency-status-and-private-companies-will-soon-be-invited-to-submit-tenders-to-run-institutions-1452599.html

GEO, now runs two detention centres here: http://www.thegeogroupinc.co.uk/home

Anything a bit more modern?

At the end of the day, if criminals get prosecuted for what they have done, then what's the problem with the rise in the prison populous, it's a direct result and reflection of the state of the nation.

Privatised services will always cost slightly more, but it'd still be cheaper to prevent the crime in the first place. At the moment we don't have the money to take the prisons back or to build replacements.

I still don't think prisoners should get a nice Christmas dinner, the money should be spent elsewhere, or you could say because of the high crime rate and the privatisation, it's their own fault...

In my opinon they are not paying enough for what they did. As for what they are still doing i cannot say on an open forum but lets put it this way...someone lost their lives at the hands of this monster and if he ever gets out then i have no doubt that other lives will be lost.

I am suprised at steelhead4 as he knows all the details of said person and has seen all the scars bot mentally and physically this person left behind :(

I only said slacken them slightly for christmas , they should be tightened up again on boxing day.

I still don't think prisoners should get a nice Christmas dinner, the money should be spent elsewhere, or you could say because of the high crime rate and the privatisation, it's their own fault...

Do you extend that opinion to children in youth detention centres? I'm just curious. How about the children housed in the mother and baby units (approximately 3% of the 4300 female prison population) do they not deserve a treat at Christmas?

Perhaps the fact that

"More women were sent to prison in 2007 for shoplifting offences than any other crime" might change your mind?

Or

"A University of Oxford report on the health of 500 women prisoners, showed that: ‘women in custody are five times from [sic] likely to have a mental health concern than women in the general population, with 78% exhibiting some level of psychological disturbance when measured on reception to prison, compared with a figure of 15% for the general adult female population’.

Or even

Over half the women in prison say they have suffered domestic violence and one in three has experienced sexual abuse.

http://www.ohrn.nhs.uk/resource/policy/WomeninPrisonPRT2010.pdf

I just think the picture is far more complex than you seem to think. There are shades of grey everywhere and designating all prisoners as 'scum' (from your Post 120) is not accurate or helpful, many are ill or are victims of bad circumstances.

I just think the picture is far more complex than you seem to think. There are shades of grey everywhere and designating all prisoners as 'scum' (from your Post 120) is not accurate or helpful, many are ill or are victims of bad circumstances.

Everybody has a choice!

Circumstance aside, they have been convicted of crimes!

As stated earlier it'd be better to prevent crime and it's causes, but an excuse is an excuse.

I personally know how hard it is to get out and know that others can, but don't, and I can generally see why, still it doesn't make their crimes right.

BTW, at times i'd have called myself scum! That's because I own up to my actions!

I'd like to tell you of my situation, but I fear it'd be a bad idea!

It's not much to ask for one day of the year is it? We at least owe that much to them because we, society, creates criminals.

The do gooder lefty liberals may create criminals as I'm none of those I don't agree with you.

This is an overview of how the prison privatisation tendering system works. As you can see, there's an initial outlay by the company, but subsequent to that they are paid by the state, per prisoner, to run the facility. This is why your taxes are not being lowered through privatisation:

http://www.psiru.org/justice/ppri69.htm

Here's a bit more about prison tendering in the UK from The Independant-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/government-ready-to-accept-jail-bids-the-prison-service-today-moves-to-agency-status-and-private-companies-will-soon-be-invited-to-submit-tenders-to-run-institutions-1452599.html

So why were they privatised if it doesn't save money?

And today we hear about prisoners wrecking and setting fire to Ford open prison when attempts were made to breathalise them. Unbelieveable that they can smuggle so much booze into the prison, they should make them sleep in tents in the burnt out buildings. Appareently there were 6 staff on duty, that smacks of cost cutting to save money.

Archived