Should prisoners be given a nice christmas day?

How are the aims of prison to rehabilitate criminals met by brutalising them?

Surely little priveleges are needed otherwise the punishment meted out in prison will only emphasise their alienation and make them more likely to reoffend on release.

They're already paying the price for their crimes by losing their liberty, I do not see what harm giving them a Christmas dinner would do or allowing them to put on a Christmas panto, or from the other angle, what good it would do by depriving them of such things whilst in prison over Christmas.

:shocked:

We are in agreement for once....

Turkey dinner and gifts from the family is fine. ...

They do get a turkey dinner but gifts from the family arent possible as prisoners are only allowed to have certain items of property in their pads. Family can pay money into their prison account though and the prisoner can order items out of the prison catalogue. They can also have Christmas cards posted in. In my experience though, most prisoners dont want a huge fuss at Christmas because it only reminds them they are inside and not on the out with their family and friends. New year is always welcomed though as it marks another year off their sentence :)

So how does the badness manifest itself in babies?

I've PM'd the OP with my reasons of which I have personal experience.

That is my final say on the matter.

Archived