Should prisoners be given a nice christmas day?

Ask some of the people who were the victims,drink drivers,burglars,ect ect ect,why should they have the luxuries many families work hard for?? the ones who strive to bring their children up correctly and the people who find it hard to buy for christmas and provide a few luxuries yeah lets treat all the people in prison to a gift and slap up meal,take em shopping,give em drink and cigarettes lets make them feel good for their crimes

Prisoners don't get a drink at christmas, any cigarettes they smoke they have to buy out of their own money.

I bet the main reason is rejection. They have been rejected by those who should have been there for them and they have turned to crime as a result.

I think a little turkey time for those lost souls of society is perfectly reasonable.

Just wondering if you think the monster who chiselled a hole in my right shinbone deserves to have a wonderful christmas?

I disagree whole heartedly (sp?). I know people in prison and the reasons why they are there!

Prison is a punishment whether it is Christmas or not they should continue to be treated as prisoners.

I have little or no sympathy for many of them.

Me neither, but according to the do gooders they are there to be rehabilitated. Makes you wonder when you read of the ones that come out and go straight back to their criminal ways.

I disagree whole heartedly (sp?). I know people in prison and the reasons why they are there!

Prison is a punishment whether it is Christmas or not they should continue to be treated as prisoners.

I have little or no sympathy for many of them.

Me too! Many of the victims of their crimes wont be able to enjoy the luxuries of Christmas, so why should they?

The fact is that society actually has created crime. Society sets the rules, called law, and it is simple logic to recognise that if there are rules, they can be broken. A society without law can never have crime.

People survived for 100,000 years under this lawless system. It was only with the introduction of ownership and control of 'precious' items such as metals that people suddenly needed a law to protect their property- a law to ensure that theft or misdeed was punishable. The earliest set of laws so far discovered is the Babylonian Code of Hammurabi which dates to c.1775 BC.

It is also logical that the more laws a society has the more criminals it will have and that if you privatise prisons and allow unscrupulous beings to make a profit from crime you will see a sharp increase in the number of prisoners.

In 1991 the England & Wales prison population was 42,000, following privatisation we now see the figure almost doubled at 83,701 (as of Dec 24th 2010). Are we, as a society really twice as likely to commit a crime as we were in 1991? Of course not, we simply lock up more people because it makes others rich and we do it by creating new laws.

Just under half of the prisoners in prison this Christmas would not be there without these unjust actions. Food for thought as you tuck into your turkey perhaps.

Just under half of the prisoners in prison this Christmas would not be there without these unjust actions. Food for thought as you tuck into your turkey perhaps.

Not really. They are there because the chose to break the law, where caught by the police and found guilty by a jury. No sympthy for them what so ever.

The fact is that society actually has created crime. Society sets the rules, called law, and it is simple logic to recognise that if there are rules, they can be broken. A society without law can never have crime.

People survived for 100,000 years under this lawless system.

And the people who did wrong probably got punished, and probably a whole lot more brutally than they do now! Maybe they were even eaten!

I feel right sorry for people in prison over christmas. Nothing to really look forward to. It would be nice if they had something to open on christmas day, a nice dinner, plenty of wine and beer, a DVD of their choice and a big festive party in the evening. Then a bacon sandwich on boxing day morning.

It's not much to ask for one day of the year is it? We at least owe that much to them because we, society, creates criminals.

Proof that society creates criminals

and most of the above applys to their victims, depending on their crimes.

Archived