World war two water tanks

bullerboY

There were at least two on the top half of Marsh House Road S11. They seemed quite big at the time to a small boy but were probably in the region of six feet tall and three feet diameter and very rusty. They were positioned on the footpath at the roadside, freestanding and after their removal left a large circular rust stain on the tarmac. How on earth people were expected to get the water out I don't know unless they were much less tall than I remember.

There is an old thread on this subject

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10899&highlight=wartime+water+tanks

One on Gleadless Road, Heeley - just above the Roundhouse pub on the same side, and one on Washington Road just round the corner from Sharrow Lane (going up).

1946 we moved into a prefab on the Arbourthorne and I remember at that time on the fields where Northern Avenue met Spring lane there was a big open circular brick one sunk into the ground..

Walking back up Northern Avenue to where it was crossed by Algar Road on the corner right hand side was a shelter.

I was told it was a gas shelter ? but I'd never seen one like it before.

Archived