Who remembers Penistone Road

hondababe

The New Barrack Tavern is on the corner of High House Terrace, between Burton Street and Capel Street. Here is a scan from the 1942 directory showing this part of Penistone Road - the shopkeepers' names etc. may bring back a few memories!

Thanks new info to me My dad still lived at 511 the hair dresser was next door #509 seem to think the #s got mixed up when I came out of Fullwood homes in 46 the shop at 511 was closed with just old stock of a general nature(the big box's of swan match's great for fire bugs like us) it became a hair salon that same wear when 509 closed down,well thats as I remember it after 70 years:confused::confused:

No.....the barrack isn't far from Bamforth Street at all.

That falls in line with my info re that very small st across from The Barrack one of my dads relations lived there think not more than two houses on the st,my mother use to send me up there with a basket of goodie's(butter eggs etc) so not to far to walk for a 5yr old

The New Barrack Tavern is on the corner of High House Terrace, between Burton Street and Capel Street. Here is a scan from the 1942 directory showing this part of Penistone Road - the shopkeepers' names etc. may bring back a few memories!

Trying to jog my mind on that short st st across from the Barrack not called a st only about two houses on it would like to get the names from the 42 directory

Trying to jog my mind on that short st st across from the Barrack not called a st only about two houses on it would like to get the names from the 42 directory
The map shows a short cul-de-sac after Driffield Street but doesn't name it. The 1942 directory shows "Upper Slack" in this location without naming any residents, though Daniel Doncaster & Sons, J.H. Swift Ltd and Annealers Ltd are shown on or near Upper Slack. The 1925 directory shows Nether Slack a bit further along, with Thompson Bros. wire manufacturers located there, after which was "Neepsend cricket ground" and then Nos. 452-458 Penistone Road before Owlerton Bridge. I imagine that Upper and Nether Slack are the two cul-de-sacs shown on the map. Edited by hillsbro

The map shows a short cul-de-sac after Driffield Street but doesn't name it. The 1942 directory shows "Upper Slack" in this location without naming any residents, though Daniel Doncaster & Sons, J.H. Swift Ltd and Annealers Ltd are shown on or near Upper Slack. The 1925 directory shows Nether Slack a bit further along, with Thompson Bros. wire manufacturers located there, after which was "Neepsend cricket ground" and then Nos. 452-458 Penistone Road before Owlerton Bridge. I imagine that Upper and Nether Slack are the two cul-de-sacs shown on the map.

yes thats the name Upper Slack never heard that name for a st before or since ,must have been my dads sister lived on there seem to remember my cousin Percy was drown at the end in the Don/canal must have been the 30s

The names Upper and Nether Slack somehow rang a bell with me - then I remembered that the "Slack Steel Works" in this area suffered damage in the Sheffield Flood of 1864. Scouring my hard drive for old relevant maps, I found this one that shows ""Upper Slack Steel Works" and "Nether Slack Tilt" on the river in this area. Interesting to note that Club Mill Road was named after a corn mill of this name, that there was indeed a "High House" and that Capel Street (originally Chapel Street) was evidently named after the Methodist chapel on the corner.