Mastiff kills woman

We have a Dogue de bordeaux (turner and hooch dog) and a rottweiler, never had any problems, in fact the cat rules the roost in this house!

Given that certain breeds of dogs seem to be more prone to attacking people, Rottweilers included; I wonder why people choose to have these breeds as pets. Why take the risk? (this is a genuine question Norks. I am not trying to challenge your right to own such a pet or trying to be provocative or argumentative.)

Given that certain breeds of dogs seem to be more prone to attacking people, Rottweilers included; I wonder why people choose to have these breeds as pets. Why take the risk? (this is a genuine question Norks. I am not trying to challenge your right to own such a pet or trying to be provocative or argumentative.)

What people read in the media and what is the actual truth are poles apart.

Rottweilers are a loyal gentle breed who have a naturally high gaurding instinct. This does not make them vicious but it does make them more prone to protecting the things they class in their territory.

I have owned and rescued rotties for years and have never EVER come across a dog that could not be worked with.

In my opinion it is the little breed dogs who are the frequent biters, the rottweiler will only bite as a very last resort and "usually" gives plenty of warnings before doing so. Having said that.... there are wild cards in all of us!

From what was said on the news, the Belgian mastiff was bred exclusively for the Belgian army as beasts of burden (for pulling sleds + load) and it was thought that the breed had gone extinct, it never was intended as a pet..

As i said, that's what i heard on radio Sheffield...

Apparently after the dog was youthenised, the police found a Belgian mastiff pup in the property..

John..

This case has very little to do with the breed or mistreatment of the dog.

It's more than likely to be one of the first deaths resulting from the very rapidly growing trend of 'weapon dogs', which are specifically trained to be intimidating killing machines. The owner has now very appropriately been charged with manslaughter: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12075849

I was the owner of a Bullmastiff for 7 years....he was my wingman.

Know to others as a dangerous dog...known to me as my best friend and someone that i would trust with my life.

He is by my bed now...in a box, but when my time comes..his ashes will go in my box.

Loyal, faithfull, loving and honest and thats just a few reasons i kept a dog that was known as a "risk".

Archived