Working christmas day for single time bah humbugs

some of our engineers at my firm are working or should i say are being made to work christmas day for simgle time and are having to do a full shift , also im working new years day for single pay aswell , has britain gone back a step to the caveman era?

we should be able to refuse to work on a christmas holiday if were christians , :rant:

us engineers have to work because the far land people have decided to come in and work they dont celibrate chrismas , this is never right:mad::mad::mad:

I've been at work today, I'll be in tomorrow & also the day after. All for my normal pay, with no expectation of any bonus or overtime. Why? I hear you ask

Because that's the job. I'm sure that there are professions that will accomodate your religious sensibilities but do they offer the same wage? I know that my work involves antisocial hours and I'm fine with that, because unlike a great many poor souls, I have a decent paid job.

There was a time when Christmas Day, and Good Friday, were not bank holidays but public holidays, which meant you absolutely could not be made to work, regardless of what your contract said.

However I'm fairly sure that the distinction has been abolished. If your contract says you have to work, then you have to work, and you should not have signed it if you think it is unfair.

some of our engineers at my firm are working or should i say are being made to work christmas day for simgle time and are having to do a full shift , also im working new years day for single pay aswell , has britain gone back a step to the caveman era?

we should be able to refuse to work on a christmas holiday if were christians , :rant:

us engineers have to work because the far land people have decided to come in and work they dont celibrate chrismas , this is never right:mad::mad::mad:

cant the people who dont like xmas cover your shifts ?let us know how you go on when you take the day off on religious grounds :hihi:

At the end of the day, everyone signs an employment contracts that includes conditions regarding holiday working hours and thus can't really moan about it.

TFL employees on the other hand, on an average wage of £45,000, are still allowed to strike after demanding triple pay AND a day off in lieu to work on 26th despite signing contracts saying they do not get extra pay on boxing day. Go figure.

There was a time when Christmas Day, and Good Friday, were not bank holidays but public holidays, which meant you absolutely could not be made to work, regardless of what your contract said.

However I'm fairly sure that the distinction has been abolished. If your contract says you have to work, then you have to work, and you should not have signed it if you think it is unfair.

Better hope you don't need an ambulance after Christmas dinner.

Archived