Whats the best diesel 4x4?

As long as your not wanting to do any hard core off-roading, you'd probably find a 4x4 estate car better for mpg. The octavia scout for example will do over 50mpg (what car lists av. mpg 57.4). You'd probably find that people are kinder to you in traffic too.
Yeh but there's no status in those especialy on school runs or popping down to sainsburys.

Landrover Discovery.....my mate has one.

It was the only vehicle moving when we camped on a snow filled field last winter. (it wasn't snow filled when we camped, but the following day.....)

The discovery towed off every caravan and the cars too.

I have a picture of my daughters Toyota (4x4) being recovered by the Discovery. She weren't happy, lol.

I'd go with the option for the estate car with 4x4 personally. Skoda Ocatavia 4x4 TDI would be my shout if you are after something that will handle the snow & not drive like a bus for the other 48 weeks of the year when there is no snow!

If you look at reliability facts & figures german & japanese make the most reliable cars.....Skoda are all VW parts.

i am looking for a new used car to buy and would like a diesel 4x4 that is a good runner in these extreme wintery conditions.

something that is economical, reliable and does not cost a bomb to maintain.

i would appreciate any suggestions.

cheers

A land rover discovery is the best 4x4 in particular the es model

Perhaps you should read the original post again....

Economical & relaible were words mentioned! See link below.....

http://www.birminghampost.net/birmingham-business/birmingham-business-news/other-uk-business/2010/07/23/land-rover-reliability-condemned-by-consumer-magazine-65233-26917545/

Perhaps you should read the original post again....

Economical & relaible were words mentioned! See link below.....

http://www.birminghampost.net/birmingham-business/birmingham-business-news/other-uk-business/2010/07/23/land-rover-reliability-condemned-by-consumer-magazine-65233-26917545/

Gone the way of so many UK vehicles sadly.

In the early 50s when the world wanted every Landrover produced we failed to deliver as it would have meant massive but worthwhile reinvestment.

As long as your not wanting to do any hard core off-roading, you'd probably find a 4x4 estate car better for mpg. The octavia scout for example will do over 50mpg (what car lists av. mpg 57.4). You'd probably find that people are kinder to you in traffic too.

Estate cars with 4x4 are all very well, but not much more use in snow and ice than 2 wheel drive cars unless you swap the standard road tyres for off-road tyres.

Swapping the tyres/wheels will invalidate your insurance unless you pay more on your premium.

Archived