Hitler's policies workable in Britain?

It's been the subject of a lot of debate amongst historians. I think the population of Germany during the Third Reich were evil and suffered a collective criminal madness.

I think that kind of thinking is almost as dangerous as admiration for Hitler.

Writing them off as crazy people gives us no understanding at all, what happened in Germany could happen anywhere, we are not so different in culture. The past needs to be understood and learned from, not blindly feared.

Also, retep wtf you've just Godwinned yourself!

Writing them off as crazy people gives us no understanding at all, what happened in Germany could happen anywhere, we are not so different in culture. The past needs to be understood and learned from, not blindly feared.

i agree. they were no simply mad or evil. we do need to understand how it could have happened to what was arguably one of the most sophisticated and advanced nations on the planet. we should remember that a great many Germans protected the Jews and the vast majority, i would think, did not believe the Nazi policies but went along with them for fear of reprisals. this makes them cowards, maybe, but not mad or evil.

many other instances abound in history, though not as bad. many similar scenarios happening today too.

i agree. they were no simply mad or evil. we do need to understand how it could have happened to what was arguably one of the most sophisticated and advanced nations on the planet. we should remember that a great many Germans protected the Jews and the vast majority, i would think, did not believe the Nazi policies but went along with them for fear of reprisals. this makes them cowards, maybe, but not mad or evil.

many other instances abound in history, though not as bad. many similar scenarios happening today too.

As far as I remember from some documentaries ages ago (I avoid Nazi docu's nowadays) there was quite a lot of resistance to Hitler's rise and radicalism, so no, many weren't cowards but just had to eventually succumb psychological. It was propagated through mass propaganda, scaremongering and violent intimidation.

Perhaps you didn't get a grasp of the OP,

"In view of how Britain has changed over the last few decades are there any of Hitler's policies that we would now embrace."

A humbled and divided West Germany reverted to its roots. It became a pivotal pillar of the West - a member of the European Economic Community (later renamed the European Union) and of NATO. Hitler's fervent wish and vision - a Europe united around Germany against the Red Menace - was achieved posthumously.

Seems like we embraced his policies

As far as I remember from some documentaries ages ago (I avoid Nazi docu's nowadays) there was quite a lot of resistance to Hitler's rise and radicalism, so no, many weren't cowards but just had to eventually succumb psychological. It was propagated through mass propaganda, scaremongering and violent intimidation.

to say they 'succumbed' means they grew to believe the ideology. some did, yes, but most never did believe the Nazis but did nothing anyway. that is cowardice.

to say they 'succumbed' means they grew to believe the ideology. some did, yes, but most never did believe the Nazis but did nothing anyway. that is cowardice.

There were many in the resistance movement, others left (seeking asylum), others became part of the movement, but as has been proved time and time again in psychological experiments (the actual name evades me at the moment) people will.

succumbed

yield

Oh, Milgram experiment.

Just think what it means if you apply your method of calling "everyone" cowards to other extreme situations?

I think the German people share responsibility for what their nation did. After all the vast majority of Germans went along with it enthusiastically and believed Hitler was right. They even voted him in whilst Germany was still a democracy.

There's still many of that generation who admire Hitler, I even met one once.

Archived