Using Driving Licence as Passport?

I heard it is so, but I've never tried or seen anyone do it. I always take my passport.

Mines just ran out and its a fortune to renew. I don't really want to travel out of Europe, not for a while anyway, so it would be the cheaper option. I'm not sure if the Canaries are part of Europe either, although they are Spanish, so I guess they must be!!!:huh:

Hello-

I've heard today that the UK photo driving licence can be used instead of a passport when travelling in the EU? Is this true and would it be ok to use it if travelling to the Canaries? Has anyone on here used their's?

ta

I don't think you need a passport to travel within the EU, just between the UK and the EU.

In theory, you can legally go out of the UK without your passport but you would not get back in. In practice, they won't even let you go out - which is a fairly sensible policy given that you would not get back in.

Ryanair won't even let you travel on internal flights without a passport. The passport is the only form of ID they will not accept.

I don't think you need a passport to travel within the EU, just between the UK and the EU.

this is true.

Europe or at least the best parts (the EU incuding us in England) is now a single state and we can live or work in any part of it without a passport. However when travelling on aircraft you have to prove beyond any doubt your identity for obvious reasons and passport is by far the cheapest way to do this.

No doubt if you have a photo driving license or if you are spanish and have a national identity card that would be perfectly adequate.

Archived