What makes a genius?

In terms of intelligence - which can't be sensibly measured anyway - "genius" is anyone in the top two per cent. If you want to extend that to other fields, you could say that anyone widely recognised as being in the top two per cent of professional comedians, qualifies as a comic genius. (To define a comic genius as anyone in the top two per cent of funny people worldwide would be pointless, since far less than 2% of people are funny enough to be a professional comedian at all.)

I would've thought that the barriers were a bit narrower than that. 'Top 2%' may sound good, but even given that the people at the other end of the scale don't get out much (the bottom few percent are usually institutionalised) then 'Top 2%' could be rephrased as: "Statistically, there's one on every bus." Put it that way and it's not very exclusive.

I would say Einstein was a genius.

Never heard of him!

Neither have I but his name rang a bell somehow.:huh:

I thought that was Mr Clapper?

I would've thought that the barriers were a bit narrower than that. 'Top 2%' may sound good, but even given that the people at the other end of the scale don't get out much (the bottom few percent are usually institutionalised) then 'Top 2%' could be rephrased as: "Statistically, there's one on every bus." Put it that way and it's not very exclusive.

That is Mensa's definition; if you register a score in the top 2% of IQ scores (which, on their scale, means 148 or higher) you qualify for membership as a genius.

Test the Nation?

I scored 162 on that on one occasion, and 87 on another. I don't think it's particularly reliable!

No neither do I, I only did one. I know I excel at some things and have to work at others.

Perhaps some sort of comic mensa test is in order :hihi:. That would be tough! Almost certainly impossible.

I've heard 'comic genius' thrown around a lot, but it seems almost entirely unquantifiable, unless viewing figures are used... even then it's biased with time schedules and popular programme slots etc...

Maybe your interpreting 'genius' as literal. Although the term genius is used I don't think it's meant in the literal way. I read genius as someone who stands out alone..totally unique to their field and within their time frame. If you watch Wise and the way he interacts..I mean really watch without looking at it from a critical comedy view you'll find that Wise's timing and delivery was impeccable, not to mention both were phenomenal improvisers .

I know what you are saying Alien. I am interpreting the term as literal, because that is the way that is used. Which is what prompted my question. :)

Perhaps some sort of comic mensa test is in order :hihi:. That would be tough! Almost certainly impossible.

I've heard 'comic genius' thrown around a lot, but it seems almost entirely unquantifiable, unless viewing figures are used... even then it's biased with time schedules and popular programme slots etc...

You'd have to do it real-time (in the chat room?) and get users to private msg answers...

Still very open to abuse, so it'd be at the users discretion.

Or just set one up on one of these questionnaire sites.

Archived